Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Wanna Chip A Rock!!!.....Make it Patina Out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wanna Chip A Rock!!!.....Make it Patina Out!!!

Ok whats some of you guys ideas on how i can make this rock patina out after I chip it...Have you guys heard of ways to do so?....Ok then give me some ideas to try...I wanna see if it can be done for myself.I Believe and hope it cannot be done....jn

How bout heat?...Or cold?...Maybe sulpheric acid?,,lol...jn

Comment

I have heard of people using acid, burying in cow crap and lime. Cliff had a list of stuff either on this forum or the AACA forum...cant remember what one!

Comment

Jon,
          There are as many ways to fake patina as there are fakers. However, none really look good except one or two methods that try to simulate mineralization and use wear. If I told you how it's done, I'd have to kill ya! But seriously, it's probably not a good idea to discuss fakery on any chat board in any great depth, as it gives honest folks bad thoughts sometimes. I've played with a couple techniques that will fool a lot of collectors, but then, just some dirt will fool a lot of collectors into thinking a modern piece is old.
          If you want a simple means of aging, put your rocks into the goldfish bowl and don't clean the bowl until Lil Sparkles begs you. The algae and poop action will grow on your rocks in short order. Also put in a pond for a summer and check out the results. Most chemical means of faking patina, wear, or mineralization are detectable if you look closely- which you should if you buy anything from anyone.

Comment

Ok Cliff....Understood....No more ok guys?...Can i ask though?......This method you must keep put away?...can you detect yourself?...Or is it that good?.Can we detect and beware of?.Theres a way Cliff...Im gonna find it!!!....jn

Comment

Cliff - why doncha PM Jon so he can do his thing.  That way no one else will know what transpired.  I don't buy points so it don't matter to me if he recreates patina on his own points.  I do agree that it's wrong to try to do it to cheat people that do buy.  ---Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

With Much respect chuck...Buying is a big thing now and its growing everyday..Anybody can be an authenticator nowadays i sees....why cant we all...Some years of knowledge?..ok well lets knock half that off some how for start.Anyway chuck Im like you infact I recently stepped into the online world myself..And Behold!!!!......jn

Comment

Im not out cheat nobody......Time we out smarts the fox!!!

Comment

Scorpion68 wrote:

Cliff - why doncha PM Jon so he can do his thing.  That way no one else will know what transpired.  I don't buy points so it don't matter to me if he recreates patina on his own points.  I do agree that it's wrong to try to do it to cheat people that do buy.  ---Chuck
                  Cliff said he would have to kill me...Thats ok...!..Cliff is with us...Thats great!...sooo! he has experimented himself?...

Comment

Heres one with suspect patina. It has some but just not sure so I isolate it from the others.....solitary confinement! It is an Ohio piece, Springtown lance. If I ever get the cash this is one I would like to paper.....to see if its authentic. What do you guys think? Mark.

Comment

Hey Mark..id have to a closer look like 10x 20x...Youve got others youve gathered with same material?.That you know are good?...Compare.....

Comment

Have had several with same material...thats what makes me think. Checked with 20+ loupe. Sure hope Im wrong.

Comment

Mark wanna here something crazy?....I looks with a 10x like Cliff taught me...Yea I sees what i need to see...But if im unsure?...sssssH!! dont say nothing,tween you and I..i look under the scope at 60x with a light...now Ive noticed a newly chip point patina?..will not sparkle from the scopes light...now its true everything has a patina at 60x like Cliff said but the authentic point?...the patina sparkles like christmas lights....Now its the fake patinas that can make that patina sparkle in the same way....Thats my newest concearn and you know?....Im gonna knock on out and see whats next....Is that Cliff coming...sssshhhh! i didnt say nothing......Just Kidding....jon

Comment

Since there are a thousand ways to make a rock look old, it is really best to learn what old points look like. As soon as you learn one way of faking age, you'll come across another way. But your true ancient points will look, feel, and tell you they are old. It is not a great secret like some would have you think. The #1 mistake collectors make is not washing off the dirt before examining. A few so-called authenticators make that mistake too. You can't evaluate if you don't see it well.

Comment

No one should EVER fake patina on any item, or talk about it.  I know of no one who condones this conduct or discussion.   I don't care what their reason.  The only reason anyone should study fake patina is if they buy points, so they don't get ripped off like Cliff says. 
                              I sincerely hope anyone who is knapping points are following the proper and correct step of permanently marking their work.  If not, they are unscrupulous, either by ignorance or design, and corrupting this "hobby" we love.  I have met very few knappers that mark their work.  Fakes and sales have ruined this hobby for a lot of people. (IMHOP)  Newbies have yet to learn.  We die, rocks remain.
                              Professor Shellman
                              Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X