No announcement yet.

New Found Respect For Hardstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when working with any stone where dust is in the air stream it is a good idea to protect yourself. If you knap do it out doors, Do not do it inside ever.   I knew a knapper who died a few years back and he was in his fifties his lungs where all scarred up from breathing flint dust for years.  Silicosis is as bad as black lung and it dont go away. it is a slow killer,  if you knap inside it will get you sooner or later and it aint a pretty way to go either.
    That is just in case Roger and Greg have not scared you bad enough.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for the advice Hoss, I have a two year old and I try to keep everything out of his reach, so I always work outside. I've been pretty hard on my lungs and well everything else due to my old job as a welder and now I do drywall etc and I'm always in attics crawling around in rockwool insulation or working in asbestos filled houses, but for the last few years I've made a good effort to cut down on the particulate in -take, by wearing a respirator.  It completely slipped my mind as i did this banner. But I will be more cautious in the future. Thanks!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Something I always wanted to try because I have seen artifacts with such fine polish I know they must have used something very fine to achieve that. Charcoal has an almost abrasive effect tio me anyway. It might take some time to go it but look at it this way. It is used in tooth paste as a whitener. In an activated form it absorbed all that is bad and it clings to the charcoal.  This would also be easy to get and harmless to people using it. Just dirty work.easy to crush to a fine powder and make a paste with and have at it. I would be willing to bet it would work. It was used by NA for disinfectant and for nausea. Did you know that you can actually boil the most foul smelling swamp water to kill all the germs but it will still taste very bad. Take some charcoal and stir it into the water mixing it in well then wait for the charcoal to rise to te top skim and drink and the bad taste will be gone! Oh well I never tried it but always felt it could be used to put a fine polish on stone. Coupled with plenty of elbo grease that is.
        Somehow I missed this post yesterday, that's a interesting idea Hoss , I will try it on the soapstone and test it out. I see what your saying though. Every time I think of charcoal I remember Bear Grylls putting it in a sock and making a water filter, very useful stuff. I have to collect some for making pitch anyways so it won't be out a the way. Thanks for the idea!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

damn man! this thread has well over 2000 views, wwaaayy more than my whole primitive thread!....people must really like you!  :laugh:
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I looked for this link when I first posted but just now found it. Larry Kinsella is IMO the foremost replicator there is. I have talked to him many times and he spends hours figuring this stuff out. I have watched him doing this exact process.http://www.flintknapper.com/GENICULATE.htm
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

damn man! this thread has well over 2000 views, wwaaayy more than my whole primitive thread!....people must really like you!  :laugh:
              Maybe some people are out there trying it for themselves  :dunno: Between all the primitive hobbyist on this site we could have some pretty cool "photographic tutorial" threads on different primitive skills and or projects. Excellent way to learn and share what you've learned.  I would like to see some of your skills in a walk thru thread. Like making pitch etc,  I would thoroughly enjoy it. Sneaky could go thru knapping techniques or making a self bow. Not trying to put you guys on the spot but I think it would be fun.  :dunno:
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

rmartin wrote:

I looked for this link when I first posted but just now found it. Larry Kinsella is IMO the foremost replicator there is. I have talked to him many times and he spends hours figuring this stuff out. I have watched him doing this exact process.http://www.flintknapper.com/GENICULATE.htm
                Thanks for the link Ray, that all sounds familiar,  especially were he talks about listening to the sound of the reed drill, it tells you when to add more sand or Flint grit to the hole, as it would come out with the dust as you drill . I'd like to talk to someone who has experienced working and drilling quartz, I love the look of a beautiful hourglass quartz banner.  I imagine it was a laborious task.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

So I'm wondering if there is any info out there on the average weight of drilled bannerstones? I'm thinking mine may be a little on the heavy side for comfortable use. I imagine geniculate and butterfly style banners made from banded slate were quite heavy but I'm not sure if it's practical? I can always remove more material to reduce weight I guess.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

i knew you'd come across that at some point.   i think it all comes down to the atlatl being used and the length/ weight of the darts, so after you make one you'll have to play around a little till you find the right "balance". but yeah, yours is kinda on the big side i think.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

i knew you'd come across that at some point.   i think it all comes down to the atlatl being used and the length/ weight of the darts, so after you make one you'll have to play around a little till you find the right "balance". but yeah, yours is kinda on the big side i think.
                        :rolf: yeah I think your right! You shoulda said "hey who'd you make that for Goliath?"  :rolf: I imagine a heavier banner would be ok for a bigger person, but I believe I got a little carried away or not enough, Thanks for helping me confirm that though, making it right is what it's all about!
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

its O.K. though! you know how to make one now, and how to finish it, and its better to have too much than not enough on it. now you have " room" on it to take it down as much as you need. since you dont have the rest of the Atlatl set to add it to yet who says it the wrong size anyways,  

Comment

Here's another thing that I had wondered but I think I may have figured out. Setting the banner on the shaft of the Atlatl.  The reed drilling created a perfectly tapered hole from one end to the other. I'm thinking if I taper my shaft I should be able to wedge the banner onto the neck and secure it with a good thick wrap right above the bannerstone to prevent it from moving.... just a thought, it would also keep me from having to use any pitch in, or wrap over the banner.  :dunno:
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Nice bannerstone! So let me get this straight. WHICH HOBBY LOBBY WERE YOU IN!? I need to find this!
                            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                              Kyflintguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I haven't seen a box of soapstone like the one I bought that day since that day at Hobby lobby Ethan. So I guess I got lucky. Too bad though would be convenient to be able to buy it that easily all the time. Thanks for the compliment!

• Kentucky point
                              Kentucky point commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I checked their website. They don't carry it anymore. Dagburnit.

Hats off to you . This is an achievement I would not have patience for .

Comment

Working...
                            X