Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

I like the tools and decided to make a few.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-21-2015, 09:32 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

nice work Ron
    ive never made tools
    but i am thinking about making a drill this summer
    i am wanting to make another peace pipe and want to drill the bowl and stem with a stone drill
    i figure the more primitive i go in the manufacturing process,the more i can charge for them 

Comment

what?...no scrapers?
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote: what?...no scrapers?
           :rolf:  :laugh: Hey Brother, you know scrapers are my favorite artifacts. I havn't figured out how to make one yet.  :laugh:  :rolf:  If I could I Would.  :laugh:
        I think a well made end scraper is more complicated than most people realize.
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

This small fishing weight is just under 1/2 ounce (.45 oz.)
          I ground so there are no sharp edges.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

I like the drills Ron, nice work. :woohoo:
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:
                 :rolf:  :laugh: Hey Brother, you know scrapers are my favorite artifacts. I havn't figured out how to make one yet.  :laugh:  :rolf:  If I could I Would.  :laugh:
                start with a nice flat flake, then simply knap a beveled edge all the way around it!
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:
                Ron Kelley wrote:
                  start with a nice flat flake, then simply knap a beveled edge all the way around it!
                  Yes that kind of so called hand-held scraper would be simple to make. A well made end scraper is much more complicated. Many times there will be a small amount of work on the bottom of the end scraper to remove the bulb of percussion. Most of that taper to the proximal end is present in the piece as it is struck from the core. The top of the scraper is pressure flaked to a very specific shape to fit the socketed haft. The distal end usually has many long slender flake scars. I will conquer that shape at some point in my flintknapping.
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

At the rate your going, shouldn't be long and you will be the best scraper maker in the last  300 years for sure! Nice tools!  Now you gotta haft  them up and use them . I started a few small projects and found a full plate very quickly... Thanks for sharing!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

This morning I made a long pipe drill (3 7/8 inches.) It's almost as thick as it is wide. 

Michigan Yooper

Comment

You have a knack for knapping! :woohoo:
                      NICE
                      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

nice work
                        a guy i know that makes pipes,doesnt knapp or make bows at all, told me once that when you make a pipe with stone tools
                        ideally you want your drill to be as thick as it is wide so that it will hold up during the drilling process of the stone
                        he makes some of the most beautiful stone pipes you have ever seen,hes even made replica pipes of artifacts
                        i have a tube pipe made by him

Comment

Well here is my first attempt at an end scraper. Not what it should be because the flake did not come off the core in the ideal shape. I made the best I could with what I had to work with. If you look at the third picture you can see what looks like use wear on the lower edge of the distal end: I did that with my coarse abraider.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote: Well here is my first attempt at an end scraper. Not what it should be because the flake did not come off the core in the ideal shape. I made the best I could with what I had to work with. If you look at the third picture you can see what looks like use wear on the lower edge of the distal end: I did that with my coarse abraider.

Ha! Told y'all! I knew you would make a darn good scraper! Nice work! I really like that pipe drill too!
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I made a few more tools. My second end scraper is more to my liking. Showing 3 views of this one.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-21-2015, 09:33 AM.
                              Michigan Yooper

Comment

Working...
                              X