Arthur Itis says Break-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Itis says Break-Time

This is what I knapped in the past three weeks. Arthritis told me to take a break.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-21-2015, 08:47 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Looks like you did a pretty good job Ron.

Comment

nice collection of your work
      now keep all of them
      then as your knapping skills progress you can go back and see how your skills changed over time
      i have all of my first points,and by my standards now. man are they crude looking.
      but i am still proud of all of my early points
      on other sites that i belong to,ones that are dedicated to primitive crafts
      we do a thing call PITH,its an acronym for Point In The Hat
      its where a bunch of knappers all put their names in a hat,then names are drawn and you swap points with the person who gets your name
      so you want to do a point trade Ron?
      i would be more than happy to have one of yours for my OPP(other peoples points) case
      or one from any other of the modern knappers on this site
      so the invite is open to all on here that knapp,doesnt matter what your skill level is
      all that matters is that is made by your hands

Comment

Hey Tim, Thanks man. PITH sounds like a lot of fun. After I learn a little more I will gladly make a trade.
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

The repetition can sure be hard on the body. It is not an easy hobby on the arms.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron, you dont need to learn more,your already doing quit well at knapping
            i have points in my OPP case that are from first time knappers to full fledge masters of the craft
            and i love every point in there
            its all about being made by your hands and the skill level does not matter
            so lets see who all will participate
            Josh,how about you it, you in for this?
            also any one else on here thats knapps
            doesnt matter if you just started today or 50 years ago

Comment

Hoss wrote: The repetition can sure be hard on the body. It is not an easy hobby on the arms.
                Hey Matt, It's the arthritis in my fingers that is painful right now. I would like to have the energy of a three year old, The strength of a thirty year old, and the wisdom of a seventy year old.
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote: Ron, you dont need to learn more,your already doing quit well at knapping
                i have points in my OPP case that are from first time knappers to full fledge masters of the craft
                  OK Tim if you can make it happen I'm in.
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:
                  sneakygroundbuzzard wrote: Ron, you dont need to learn more,your already doing quit well at knapping
                    OK Tim if you can make it happen I'm in.
                  I am in! come on Onewiththewild, Chase, Bone2stone I know you guys break a little rock.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron some of the old time knappers use a jig. It is easier on the hands brother.  I have seen a couple guys on youtube one used a bopper jig and another was using an isihi stick under the knee and indirect percussion . You can be more precises using that method . There are a lot of ways around the pain

Comment

one of the biggest rock dealers,Craig Ratzat has been using a rocker jig
                      he has a video of him showing how it is used,looks simple enough to make and use
                        i believe allergichobbit (his you tube handle) ,Patrick Blanc i believe is his real name, is one of the pioneers in the use of the ishi stick under the knee for indirect percussion use
                      i watched him several years back use that method and he made one of the most exquisite cohokia type points i have ever seen
                      in the last couple of years there have been a lot of people coming up with various types of jigs for knappers who have impairments

Comment

That device Ratzat uses is really cool looking.  Ron the fingers that hurt are they in the work piece holding hand or in the hand that holds the flaker? Or is it both hands.
                        I used to get wicked pain in my elbo. They said it was bursitus. STrain on the Bursa from repetitive movement.. Told the Dr I was learning to flint knap and he looked at me puzzled and said "Why"  SOme folks just dont get it. LOL  You would think a Dr. is a Man of science and he would get it. Not that guy. He was like you have to quit as if it was like a pack of Marlboros.  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

Looking good Ron!

Comment

Hoss wrote: That device Ratzat uses is really cool looking.  Ron the fingers that hurt are they in the work piece holding hand or in the hand that holds the flaker? Or is it both hands.
                            I used to get wicked pain in my elbo. They said it was bursitus. STrain on the Bursa from repetitive movement.. Told the Dr I was learning to flint knap and he looked at me puzzled and said "Why"  SOme folks just dont get it. LOL  You would think a Dr. is a Man of science and he would get it. Not that guy. He was like you have to quit as if it was like a pack of Marlboros.  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:
                              Actually the worst pain is in the middle finger on both hands: I didn't think I was using it that much. 
                            Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron, are you using an ishi stick or a hand flaker?
                              watch how your holding the rock and the tool as your applying pressure
                              most times pain from knapping is from bad form, and can easily be fixed just by watching what your doing and making slight changes to your form

Comment

Working...
                              X