Knapping Tool Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapping Tool Bucket

For the benefit of new flintknappers I thought that it would be a good idea to show the knapping tools that I have collected in the short time that I have been enjoying the hobby of flintknapping. All of my tools fit into this handy bucket tool bag. You certainly don't need all of these tools to start knapping but this will give you a good idea of the variety of useful tools. When I am knapping I put the oak board on top of the bucket to use as a table for the tools I am using.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bucket Tool Box.jpg Views:	1 Size:	233.0 KB ID:	192220

This copper spalling hammer weighs close to three pounds and is used to break spalls from a rock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7092.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.7 KB ID:	192221

Here are some percussion tools: Hammer stones, Copper Boppers, Moose Antler billets, and leather wraps. While doing percussion work I wrap the stone in leather to give support and prevent the stone from snapping in two. I also use a thick hog hide (not in picture) on my leg to save my trowsers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Percussion Tools.jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	192222

Abrading Stones are used while doing percussion work and pressure flaking. They don't last as long as you would think: I have already gone through a few abrading stones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Abrading Stones.jpg Views:	1 Size:	351.0 KB ID:	192223

Here are a few pressure flakers (all with replacement inserts). I use the Ishi Stick (the long one) for the majority of my pressure flaking. You want to have a file in your bucket to keep a good point on the pressure flaker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pressure Flakers.jpg Views:	3 Size:	312.9 KB ID:	192259
    Deer antler pressure flakers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pressure Flakers 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	309392

Here are a few palm pads. We use these while pressure flaking: You would not want to stick one of those pressure flakers into your hand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Palm Pads.jpg Views:	2 Size:	348.1 KB ID:	192261

This set of diamond files is handy for work on the notches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7116.jpg Views:	1 Size:	228.1 KB ID:	192263
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 01-24-2020, 07:13 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

nice set of tools Ron
    ive got as many or more,but only use a select few of them

i only used hand pads that are either backed with wood or metal
    i learned that all leather ones can allow a flake to go completely through the pad when enough force is applied,and that flake will end up in the palm of your hand

notice the grooves on the sides of a couple of your abrading stones
    dont they look just like them so called "sinew stones" we see on here every now and again

when people post those i keep telling them that those stones where not used for processing sinew,but were used as abrading stones for knapping

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right Tim. Another thing that I have noticed on many of these so called sinew stones: The same stone is used for both percussion and abrading.

That's an impressive set of tools Ron, I've been meaning to make my own billets with antler, which means shed hunting in my home state, but I may just break down and buy some better tools. Are you picking that stuff up at knapp ins or on a website? Send like every site I've seen, availability is scarce.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, Many of the tools were purchased on line. Many of the tools came from the knapp-in that I attended last summer (The Hairy Mosquito). My good friend Jay (OnewiththewilD) gave me some of the tools.

if your wanting a moose billet,which is great for heavy percussion work, i can check to see if my friend that lives in northern Mn has any.
    but the moose are getting scarce here these days. he usually has a lot of tools as he is a vendor and a knapper

some antlers dont work as well as others. elk works but is pithy in the middle and wears quickly because of that.moose is probably the best. white tail antler work great as they are very dense and not pithy,but trying to get one large enough for heavy percussion is difficult. i use them for lighter percussion work
    the tines make great punches and flakers

ivory works well,but is very hard to come by and very expensive

Comment

Awesome Tool's! Always really liked Antler billets even though i never used one.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for that info on the antlers, SneakyGroundBuzzard.. we have very few moose here in Arkansas, but I have tons of whitetail antlers.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Im amazed all over again! Which billets do you prefer Ron the antler or copper?
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            I have used the antler billets only a little and they are expensive. I wore out my favorite copper bopper: ripped a big piece of copper right off. I will need to buy another the same size.

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Which size is your favorite for thinning spalls? I I have a 1 inch I think. Debating stepping up to a 1 1/2 for thinning larger spalls. Sorry I have so many questions but its my birthday this week and ive decided a few new tools and 35 PD of Rock is my gift to me lol.

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Josh. See below for description.

Ron, I made me one of those spalling hammers today. I didn't have a piece of copper large enough to make the entire thing, so I made the end of it from copper and the rest from brass. I'm ready to hit some rocks with it now.

Comment

Gosh, I'll never get started now. I thought all you needed was a hammer stone and an antler! ☹️
            South Dakota

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              lol Yes Gary that is all you need.

Ron, if you have the dimensions on the one you need replaced, and can tell me what the handle part is made of, I can probably make you one. I'd like to give it a try anyway...

are the copper ends threaded so you so you can just replace them? That's what I did with that piece I made.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Jethro. The handle is wood covered in a rubber material. See Below.

My favorite Copper Bopper weighed 8 ounces, has a wooden handle covered in rubber, the head is weighted, length is 5.75 inches, the copper head is 1.5 inches across. After a considerable amount of percussion work I ripped the top off.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Favorite Bopper 1.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	250681Click image for larger version

Name:	Favorite Bopper 2.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	250682
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ron!

Hey guys, I just ordered two like the one above and two with solid copper heads from this site:
            flintknapping, flint, knapping, Atlatls, Atl-atl, lithics, lithic reduction, stone, Darts, spears, arrow heads, primitive, weaponry, primitive skills, indiginous, native american, bows, arrows, arrow, traditional, historical, supplies, finished weaponry, custom arrows, knives, osage orange, hafting, sinew, backstrap, jasper, novaculite, dacite, obsidian, keokuk, chert, stone, rock, jasper, flint knapping kit, kits, student discount, schools, solid head copper bopper, spalling, Ishi stick, copper bopper, billets, aboriginal, bushcraft, native american, survival skill, survival tools, flintknapping kits, pressure flaker, flaking, arrowhead, knives, preper, off grid, survival skills, archery, hunting, supplies, knap-in, knap-ins, knap ins, copper nails, solid copper rods, delrin, videos, books, posters, diamond, files, knotching, punch

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
              Hey guys, I just ordered two like the one above and two with solid copper heads from this site:
              flintknapping, flint, knapping, Atlatls, Atl-atl, lithics, lithic reduction, stone, Darts, spears, arrow heads, primitive, weaponry, primitive skills, indiginous, native american, bows, arrows, arrow, traditional, historical, supplies, finished weaponry, custom arrows, knives, osage orange, hafting, sinew, backstrap, jasper, novaculite, dacite, obsidian, keokuk, chert, stone, rock, jasper, flint knapping kit, kits, student discount, schools, solid head copper bopper, spalling, Ishi stick, copper bopper, billets, aboriginal, bushcraft, native american, survival skill, survival tools, flintknapping kits, pressure flaker, flaking, arrowhead, knives, preper, off grid, survival skills, archery, hunting, supplies, knap-in, knap-ins, knap ins, copper nails, solid copper rods, delrin, videos, books, posters, diamond, files, knotching, punch
              The solid copper should be better, right?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Jethro, The other boppers are lead weighted so it will be interesting to see how they compare. The solid brass could be worked smooth after a lot of use. Of course the solid copper would not rip off like the one I showed.

I'm on it, Ron. When I get it finished I'll be looking for a shipping address. 👍 Does the type of wood matter at all? It's just a handle, not something you strike with a hammer or stone? I'm guessing the rubber coating is for some gription?

i used the brass on the end of the one I made for added weight and I added some "grip" to it. (gnurling it while I had it in the lathe) The tip is solid copper, but I tapped both the copper and brass and used a grade 8 stud 3/8"-16 to join them.it weighs +or- 3#. I was going off what you said yours weighs.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Jethro, It looks good. I wear cut resistant gloves and still get big calluses on my right hand. I know there are many knappers who do make their own percussion tools. I hope you have good luck with that. The boppers I have purchased have soft wood handles. nothing fancy there

Thanks for that, Ron...I had some Purple Heart set aside for that, but it's pretty hard so I may use some persimmon. It has a nice resilient nature.

Comment

Working...
              X