4" Quartzite Blade & KRF Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4" Quartzite Blade & KRF Point

I bad mouthed quartzite for some time because the local quartzite was just about impossible to knap. The quartzite that Johnny sent me is quickly becoming one of my favorite lithics. This Tallahatta Quartzite is a beautiful lithic and very predictable in the way it flakes. Knife River Flint is another of my favorite lithics. Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 429 a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	284.2 KB ID:	250625
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27862.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	250624
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That tallahata is cool looking stuff! I think anyone could appreciate that KRF. Beautiful work!

Question. Debating on what type of Chert to get next. Im kinda burnt out on Keokuk. Ive never tried Dacite. How is it? I even debated trying more obsidian just not sure. Any suggestions, Im probably looking at buying spalls though....
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      hey Josh, I knapp as many different lithics as I can. Hornstone is certainly one of my favorites. Dacite is easy to knap: It's a volcanic rock that's not as glassy as obsidian.

Ron that is a nice job on that Tallahatta, neat point
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That KRF flint one would fit right in with the ones I find. A novice couldn't tell the difference. Nice.
      South Dakota

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Gary, I really like the KRF. I have quite a variety from light yellow to very dark brown. Some with lots of plant matter and some with none. All are beautiful and I like the variety.

A Couple Gem's Ron. Top one reminds Me of A Heartbreaker I picked up a few Year's back.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0976.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	250730
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Ron, I have a few small pieces that came right off campsites, that I think you could make a small point or at least a scraper. Be kind of cool to finish what the ancients started. I have some pretty good sized quartzite cores as well. All showing evidence of removed flakes. I don't know exactly what type, but I could try and find out. It has pinkish tones. I wish I could find a large KRF core, but just never do. I'm guessing they treasured it, and didn't lose too many.
        South Dakota

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Gary, I think the points knapped from material the ancient people collected are special points.
      Working...
      X