biface supporting and notched handpads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biface supporting and notched handpads

I am slowly learning a little about flintknapping and spend about equal time hands on with my knapping and reading and watching knappers online to try to learn more. I know it is important on most strikes to support the workpiece and support underneath were the flake is coming off at. I see that some knappers use a notched handpad to do their pressure flaking which seems like doesn't support the flake that is being detached. when reduction is on a small scale does the importance of support underneath the flake go out the window or is the notched pad for a certain role or technique in flintknapping?

The notched palm pad is for pressure flaking. The notch allows the flake to travel farther. I use this type of rubber palm pad. When I approach a narrow thin tip I will flip the pad over and use the no notch side. You might find my Tool bucket thread useful. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ng-tool-bucket
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• campcreekman
      campcreekman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice toolkit Ron! And thanks for showing.

While doing percussion work I position the stone so that the strike falls between two fingers. I have seen that when a percussion flake hits my hand it can end in a step fracture rather than feather out.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• campcreekman
      campcreekman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been supporting directly under were I think the flake is coming off so maybe that's some of my problems. I have quit thinking about producing a point for the time being and started sacrificing my materials to try to learn about what works and what doesn't in percussion flaking. Not sure it's a great strategy but I am making lots of flakes for pressure flaking practice. For some reason identfying and preparing good platforms are tricky for me. Anyway I'm rambling now so thanks for your help Ron.
Working...
X