The Beauty and the Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beauty and the Beast

The Kentucky Hornstone rock is 6 X 4 X 1.5 inches. I hope I can find some good material inside this rock: Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	658.7 KB ID:	258794

This is not very encouraging: There's a lot of punk rock. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	542.9 KB ID:	258799

It is still 5.5 inches long but I still have some punk rock to deal with: That punk rock doesn't flake well. Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	480.4 KB ID:	258798
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	430.8 KB ID:	258795
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.9 KB ID:	258796
    I had better switch to pressure flaking now before I break it.
    Not pretty but it would work. The point is four inches long. Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	457.2 KB ID:	258797

And then I knapped a piece of Obsidian. The Obsidian blade is five inches long. Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 459 b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	407.7 KB ID:	258803
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chase, Sometimes i have to sit back and knap a little obsidian just to remember that the rock controles things.

good work for what was there
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny, i now enjoy a tough challenge as much as working with the top grade lithic materials.

Haha! I like the title! You did awesome work on that tough Hornstone and that obsidian knife is killer! Is the obsidian point from a slab? I couldn't tell but I love the flaking and style on that knife!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, Yes the obsidian was a slab. It knapped real fast.

Both real nice, I actually like that rough material one.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, It does remind me of some of my rough ancient artifacts.

The point cut from the horn stone doesn't even look like the same rock....that's amazing.

the obsidian....I now know, without question, what my favorite lithic is. Good Lord....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jason, Obsidian is a good lithic to boost my confidence. After all it is a natural glass and glass breaks with ease.

Wow talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat Ron !!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Everett, I wondered more than once, "Will I be able to knap a blade?"

Love the serrations on your obsidian. It looks ready to bite!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deb, I have to be careful with that natural glass. It would be real easy to get a cut.

I really enjoyed this post Ron. Thank you for sharing the progress from start to finish.
    The obsidian point looks like it is ready for surgery.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce, It's tough to step back from the fun of knapping and take the time to take pictures. Many times I have finished a blade and thought, "Man I wish I had taken about ten pictures of this one." Too late. This time I plan to show all the steps and I struggle to find some good chert.

I showed the pics to my daughter and she sees the obsidian one and she almost screams..."DRAGON GLASS"
    She's a "Game of Thrones" fan.
    😊
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Nice work Ron
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice work on both, but the second is awesome!
      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
      X