Fooling around with Dacite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fooling around with Dacite

I have not knapped stone since maybe 1991 or 92. Earlier this year I was set to get back into this but for some reason I just never picked it back up. I bought some dacite and some Ky Flint but just never sat down with billet in hand to see if my hand eye is what it used to me. I discovered this morning it is not what it once was and my leg is sore now from a bunch of missed strikes LOL. I was able to reduce this piece of dacite and decided if I go further today I will probably be pressing my luck. It was over a half an inch thick when I started . It still has some rind on the side not shown and that is why I backed off.for today. It also gets hot out back early so I will see if I can do a little more with it tomorrow Click image for larger version  Name:	dacite.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	260472
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dacite1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	260473
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

That is as good as many of the actual finds that get posted Matt.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Got a good start to it Hoss.
        South Dakota

Comment

Nice Dacite preform Matt, I left my best tools in Ky last time I was at my dads by accident, well yesterday I had enough so I broke out my antler tine and back up hand pad. In about 20 minutes I was soaked and ate up with mosquitoes making one triangle lol. Can't wait to see the finished product!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

considering how long its been since youve knapped
            that looks damn good

some days i cant even do that well

Comment

The tip is so thin I really cannot work much from that end. I need to work that base a little more and then give it some shape. Not real sure what I will make. Just going to play with it a little more tomorrow. I will post when I finish it.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The rind on the side not shown looked like this yesterday Click image for larger version

Name:	dacite2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	260671

Comment

It looks like this now. I was able to remove some of that rind. It is just so thin at the tip I do not want to risk breaking it. Tomorrow I will put my reading glasses on and grab a tine and try a little pressure work. Click image for larger version

Name:	dacite3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	260693Click image for larger version

Name:	dacite4.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	260692

Comment

• Hoss
                    Hoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have been tied up so that pressure work is on hold

Hey Matt, Your point is built to kill. Nice work man. You thinned it down great.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Matt, you've still got it! ☺️
                    Child of the tides

Comment

I need another pad for my leg So many misses on the preform because I was being careful. Those misses bruised me. I have a pretty thick leg pad but I think I will need to double it now. Maybe even just sewn in some batting before doubling up. Not sure if I can sew this pad as is it is 1/4 inch thick.

Comment

Hey Matt, I use a hog hide and a bison hide. The hide prevents flakes from cutting my jeans. However I hold the stone in my gloved hand so that the misses pass inside my thy. You are absolutely right: If you are taking thin flakes with your percussion strikes you will miss quite often.
                        Michigan Yooper
                        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I know a knapper that went to goodwill and bought a run down pair of cowboy boots. He cut the tops off and uses that as a leg pad. That point will be on the end of an arrow soon I suspect.

Comment

Hey Matt, old post, but I thought it would be interesting to point this out. Viewing this forum, and actual hands on point handling, I have noticed that some points were exceptionally crappy. Uneven, thick, unproportioned, and just plain ugly. I think you did stellar job thinning that down. I even liked it at first. I used to get so mad at myself for not having thin points, but I got over it (not really) and realized that yes, even the Native Americans had troubles, and folks find points like this all the time. You did good on that one!

I didn't know you knapped until I dug around in the flintknapping section! :-)
                            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                            X