wanting to learn knapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to learn knapping

I am interested in learning to flint nap. I am leaning more to traditional methods so I think I can round up some antlers from my hunting buddies. some of them get racks they don't want to mount. I also may visit the local deer processor and have them save me discarded antlers. I know I can go to the creek and find some hammer stones as well as abrading stones. What I don't know is what the Indians used here in Alabama and where I can find some. I know a lot of what I find here is made of some kind of black rock as well as gray, redish brown, and kind of a cream color. Rarely here I find some made of quartz. I can get all the pink, yellow, and white quartz I want from the creek. It looks to be one of the hardest materials to nap so I would want something a bit more forgiving to learn on. I f someone knows what type of rock was used here and where I can find some as well as what to look for. I may be wrong but think all these should be able to be found in the creeks. Let me know anything that will help me locate usable rock and do I need to heat treat them before working them.

My name is Patrick Blank. I have a passion for flintknapping and primitive skills. Hope you enjoy the channel! You can email me at jackcrafty2@gmail.com. I n...
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Plenty of good resources like You Tube tutorials, Knapping materials and supplies site on the web to get you going... Some times its easier to just buy the rock rather than find it, especially if it isn't readily picked up in your area.... I will tell you this from experience, learning with natural primitive tools (antler tines, hammer stones) isn't easy. I did much the same with little instructional help and gave myself bad habits that were hard to correct later on. Modern tools are like starting with training wheels compared to using primitive tools to learn. It will save you lots of bandaids, materials and heartache. Modern tools aren't to expensive and are more forgiving. Several knappers are on this site so we are here for moral support! Good luck!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

junkman,first welcome to AH.com

second,glad you want to learn to knap

i will tell you this right off the bat.
        knapping isnt easy right away so dont expect to get results in the begining.to many folks that want to learn expect instant result.

we call it a hobby of tonnage. the more rock you break the better you will get at it

ive been knapping for about 12 years now,still have days when all i make is gravel(like today,ruined a really beautiful biface of burlington chert)

you tube videos are a good learning tool,but you cant get advise from videos
        there are good video guys and bad ones, jack crafty is good,as is palioman jim,freeze cracked and few more i cant think of at the moment
        down side to watching vids aside from not being able to get advise is that you can develope bad habits in form and technique and not that your doing it

if you can find a knap in near you,that is the best way to learn as they are full of experienced knappers and i have never met one that wont give a newbie some help.great way to learn good form and technique
        plus you can get your hands on rocks,lots of rocks for sale at knap ins

if i can be of any assistance just let me know and i will do my best to help

Comment

Best of luck with it. Some good advice has been given.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Junkman, I have a big junk heap of waste flakes. I watched a few videos and I went to one knap-in. Most of what I learned was by breaking rock. You will love the Ishi stick for pressure flaking.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

There is a Knappin at Moundville each year. There is one I the Spring and one in Fall. that is as close to you as I know of and would be a good place to go and see different tools and ways they are used.
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Working...
              X