Quartz Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz Fun

Quartz in my opinion is tougher to knap than many other things, and I recently used tools I made and found to make a vein quartz point out of a lump of quartz I found. The stone I used as my hammer stone was very likely a Native American hammertone because I found it near where I live and we don’t have many rocks here. It also fits in the palm of my hand, and works better than my copper tool for hard quartz.
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Hey Eannis, Good work on some tough material.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Eannis - I'm not a knapper but I've heard the same comment from some old timers talking about quartz. They say it's because of the crystalization that you can't really control the normal flaking process. I'd be interested to see someone working quartz. Anyone know of any videos ?
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd also like to see that but I've never had any luck...

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think there’s much wisdom there. I will take a video sometime. Thanks for the reply!

Nice work man. Would you say it's tougher than quartzite?

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Metacom! I am not very experienced with quartzite, but I know that some grainy quartzites can be very difficult because they tend to crumble.

Here you go he mentions going softer with the hammer using a wood billet. I had a freind who used sandstone hammers on quartz and was very successful.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        How interesting! I would’ve never thought!

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much Hoss for this post. I've been looking for a quartz knapper but having a hard time find anything probably because not many people want to mess with it.

Eannis you did a good job on that point. Quartz can be managed but you tend to break a lot compared to working flint. I know what that guy means when he atlks about the New York cherts. I used to practice on Esopus Creek chert it is a poor grade of chert with iron inclusions black and green in color and grainy like basalt. That stuff was pretty tough. The Rhyolites over your way are pretty tough too. I found a big piece in a field in CT gave it to a knapper friend because I could just not break it. He had the hardest time just getting suitably flakes off of it with a large Moose Antler Billet.
      Last edited by Hoss; 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hoss! That’s crazy, I had no idea because I’ve never attempted rhyolite. My buddy found a rhyolite Point on a fossil hunting trip we were on and said he’d give it to me if I bought him dinner HA! Needless to say, I agreed. I will have to pick up some rhyolite to attempt. Thanks for the info!

Nice work Eannis! That's some tough stuff but you did well!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot Josh. How are you these days?

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a busy person here lately Eannis, work deadlines and illness have made for a rough late summer/fall... Its good to be able to pop in here and get my rock fix. Keep up the good work man, I enjoy seeing our merry Knapping clan progress!

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotcha Josh, I’ve been quite busy as well. You can call me Ethan. Thanks for the encouragement, I love learning from you all.

This was great for me to watch . A field I go in looks like diamonds so there was a quartz Knapper there .
      But it also explains some of the few crude points I have found and that crumbling on them .

Comment

The beaches I walk are loaded with chunks of Quartz. I'm fond of the pink variety & can understand why Quartz points are so prevalent here.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember that we are close, we need to hunt together sometime!!!!!

Absolutely! Make it low tide.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• eannis6
          eannis6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure! It’ll likely have to be after the Christmas holiday. Maybe in January? Or when it warms up?

I’ve had a bit of luck with quartz, I haven’t been able to bust out anything big though, though I have gone thru a lot of rock trying!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Your point looks just as good as anything I’ve ever made outta the stuff! Good thing the supply is free ! And good job on yours too. One thing though, cut the times off the shed so their easier to use and file down one’a them tips nice and pointy but not too thin or it’ll wear down quick, but a good pointy sharp tip will produce much better precise flakes for ya.

Comment

• eannis6
            eannis6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for both the compliment and advice! I like yours too!!!

Darn auto correct, lol, tines not times

Comment

Not warm weather! Biting fly season. Come 3-4 days after a big nor'easter.
            Child of the tides

Comment

• eannis6
              eannis6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I hate biting flies Ive got them over here too...that’s a great point. Bring on the winter storms!

You made a nice point. Thanks for sharing it.
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X