Kerrville Style Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerrville Style Knife

The thread by rxrooster showing his artifact Kerrville Knife inspired me to try my hand at knapping one. The knife is 5.5 inches long (That's how big the rock was). The rock I used is Edwards Plateau Chert. I thought that lithic would be right. I considered doing some pressure flaking on the edge but decided to leave it with just percussion work. The cortex covered base is very comfortable in the palm of my hand.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 519a.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	274895Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 519b.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	274896Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 519c.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	274893Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 519d.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	274894
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Wow that’s way cool Ron !!!!!!!! Awesome !!!!! Was this any more of a challenge ??
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Everett, It only took a few minutes to knapp. The challenge was to leave the base untouched. Usually I would thin the ends first but on this knife I had to be careful to not extent the flakes to far into the base.

That's cool Ron!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, It's not very refined but I think the knife is kinda close to the what the ancient people would do.

Love it you do some awesome work Ron thanks for sharing.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Matt, I never before left a knife even close to as heavy as this one. I can imagine how this would be a useful tool.

nice work Ron

that edwards plateau looks like the rootbeer variety
    according to the guy i buy my texas rock from,edwards plateau contains several varieties such as the root beer,even george town is a edwards variety
    he says the difference in name is because of the location it is found or because of the color,but claims it all comes from the same layer in the lime stone
    he knows his rock and geology(especially the texas stuff) so i believe him

they do seem to be some very useful tools for their size and weight
    not only could one us it to down a tree,but also for skinning a critter and cutting it into pieces for eating

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tim, I have a lot of Edwards and there is quite a variety. Some of it has lots of stripes in it. This one has a variety of colors but not the contrasting stripes. I have some that is homogeneous brown chert.

Beautiful work on that one Ron, I agree looks like a very handy tool. Very resourceful way to make a usable tool without hafting and all that. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, I can think of many ways it could be used. Butchering large animals, cutting trees, or even weeding the garden.

That's neat Ron.

It reminds me of some of the earliest artifacts from Africa, Europe and Asia.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David, That is what I thought when I saw this type too.

That’s really cool! You got some big flakes across it too, did you use a hammer stone or a copper bopper or an antler billet? It looks like it’s make a great experimental archeology piece to try on a big ole fish or remove a hind quarter of something. If you ever get the opportunity maybe try it out and take progress pics to share!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, I used a good sized copper bopper and I took some big swings.
Working...
X