Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• close but not quite

back on the rock pile again today
    i made a couple bi faces and then decided to challenge my self to a seldom replicated point style

the Marden Henge point

i made the burlingtom one first,but wasnt happy with it because its a little to small
    so then i grabbed a piece of black butter dacite and tried for another one that would be a bit bigger
    its still not quite right

the point needs to be a bit longer and narrower,and the barb needs to be longer

but im getting closer to the right size
    these are only the second and third ones like this i have ever made
    and i do it all by memory and then compare it to the photo i have saved on my laptop

these are challenging to make because its super easy to snap that long barb off while knapping the point

hope y'all like them

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3537.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	275663

Hey Tim, Nice work. I remember your other one and I like all of them.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi Tim. Your work is still amazing to me. I remain in awe of the work that you and other forum members do who craft these beautiful points. I also very much enjoy the stories you tell when you go to the Knapping workshops. I would like to one day attend one just to see you guys in action.

Comment

I tried those once, brokem all. Lol

I say nice work on those, way to take on a challenge!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      sneakygroundbuzzard commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks Josh, ya they are a tricky point to make thats for sure

Holy Cow Sneaky - Those are great. Like Ron, I think I remember the first one you posted on here, if I remember correctly. Regardless - I just can't get over how all you knappers can replicate ancient artifacts with such accuracy.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      Editing a comment
      thanks Chuck
      lots and lots of practice and even more rock and you learn how do make them.a good book for reference photos is a must too.
      i LOVE my overstreet book. knappers best friend right there lol

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Know what you mean by having an Overstreet Guide - I always have mine by my side when I logon to AH.com

That is an extremely delicate point type to try and replicate Tim.
    One wrong move while doing that barb and.
    I have to ask Tim. Was it the challenge that made you choose this one? Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	275749
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      Editing a comment
      Bruce,yes it was the challenge and the fact that i had a couple broken preforms that had the right shape for them.so i figured what the heck,they are already broken pieces worse that can happen is i break them again lol
Working...
X