Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started yesterday,finished today

i started this blade yesterday and got it finished up today

its a very dark purple glass(was a slab)
    the slab was in rough shape s i used it a couple of different times to let newbs do little work and try and teach them about knapping
    it was about 1.5 inches wide originally,but it had a lot of steps and hinges on it from the newbs trying to push flakes

i hate to waster any material,so yesterday i though i would try and clean it up and get something from it

after a couple hours of pressure flaking on it i got it about 99% hinge and step free,but lost a lot of with on it in the process

it was long and narrow and thought to my self, what can i get out of this
    thats when the light bulb went on and i said "i can get an Eden out of that sucker"
    after all it had the right width and the length was close for a long Eden

so today after i got done with some minor things around the house,back to the little shop of horrors i went

after about 1.5 hours of doing some edge work and a little grinding on the base this is what i ended up with(tried to get a back lit pic to show the color,but i suck at taking pics lol )

im rather pleased with it since the slab was in very rough shape when i started on it

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3541.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	276030Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3543.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	276031

Nice work
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      sneakygroundbuzzard commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you. sadly it may be my last for awhile. gotta go back to work tomorrow. figures once i start getting back in to the swing of it and getting the rust knocked off i gotta go to work again lol. oh well my hobbies dont pay my bills

Bison Fillet Knifenice!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      Editing a comment
      thanks Josh,cant say ive heard them called that before.but i like it

Man that's awesome !!! Love it !!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Wow, that’s beautiful!
    South Dakota

Comment

glad y'all like it

Comment

How in the heck can you keep something like that intact without breaking it, considering the pressure flaking and all. That's awesome and whenever you get a backlite picture, we'd love to see it.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
        Editing a comment
        thanks Chuck, im gonna keep trying to get a back lit pic.might need to break out the halogen shop light and try it.
        keeping it together is all about support,proper platforms and making sure you done go over center line when taking a flake

That a beautiful big blade Tim, nice salvage job!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Tim, That is a real challenge to take a piece that is messed up and overcome the problems. I know that it is a lot easier to avoid making a step than to correct one.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
        Editing a comment
        yes it is Ron, just wish when i gave newbs lessons they would understand that right away. but hey,i remember what i was like when i first started knapping to. its not as easy as it looks at first and can be a little hard to comprehend just what one needs to do until you get some practice in.. im just glad i was able to salvage that piece of glass.

Nice job Tim thanks for sharing the story and pictures
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
        Editing a comment
        thanks Hoss and Merry Christmas to you and yours
    Working...
    X