Chipped Adze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped Adze

I abraded the lateral edges but the bit is real sharp.
    The adze is 5 1/2 inches long and 2 5/8 inches wide at the bit end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 520a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	276265Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 520b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	276266Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 520c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	276267
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Donโ€™t Stand for Something, Youโ€™ll Fall for Anything

That's some beautiful work Ron. Is there a difference between abrading and grinding an edge? Trying to stay up on my terminology. Also - when you sharpen an edge on an Adze, do you bevel down to one side which would leave an angled cutting edge?
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, I guess abrading and grinding are the same thing. I sharpened the bit end from both sides evenly: Not beveled to one side.

Very nice Ron are you going to haft that bad boy?
    Last edited by Hoss; 12-12-2017, 07:34 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      At some point I want to haft it to a handle Matt. The V shape would be driven into a slot in the wood but I have read that the sides should not contact the wood. That could be a tricky haft to get a working adze. I have some rawhide that could wrap the handle to help prevent splitting. I should probably grind the bit to help prevent chipping the bit.
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 12-12-2017, 08:23 PM.

Would like to see that !!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Gorgeous work Ron! Now could you imagine polishing one of those with natural sources?! I can't lol. Nice looking adze though, would love to see it in action. Also reminds me of a basal notch preform kinda. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Josh, I gave your idea of a knife preform some thought. I'm sure I could knap a knife from this but it would take a lot of thinning. The Adze is 5/8 inch thick.

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't know that Ron, would be hard to use as a preform in that case, or it would for me anyways! Were you going to polish the adze? I say give it a go anyways if it strikes you to?! Many were not polished also but interesting project to play with!

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Josh, I think I will polish the bit area only. That will make a bit that is less apt to chip while in use.

Again Ron, nice work!
      South Dakota

Comment

I have a sweet spot for adzes, I didn't notice the material. Is it hornestone? Nice looking piece for sure

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kurt, This is some Texas Chert from the Edwards Plateau area. I don't know if it would be called Edwards Plateau Chert because it is glassier that the other Edwards that I have knapped. This material knapped a lot easier than the other Edwards that I have knapped.

This picture is from Paleo Planet: I think it would work well whether hafted as an axe or an adze:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	276309
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Donโ€™t Stand for Something, Youโ€™ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Cool picture Ron It looks like Texas flint is it Edawrds?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Matt, I didn't heat treat this Texas rock and yet it is glassier that the other raw Edwards that i have knapped. It did come from that region.

That is a fine adze Ron. Excellent workmanship by you.

Comment

Well done Ron.
            It is interesting how different that blade looks in each of your three pictures.
            I like this one the best. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35377.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	276388
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That thing looks deadly, or useful, but definitely beautiful.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

HI Ron. I guess I'm a bit late in viewing this post. Beautiful work as usual. But I have a question for my clarification and learning as to terminology of tools. If the bit end is beveled or sharpened on both sides would it be a celt? My understanding is that adzes are beveled on one side. Or does it have more to do on how it is halfted and eventually used?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Joe, I have seen both types of bits on many artifacts which were called adzes. I have also seen it called a chipped celt. I wonder what the ancient people who used them would have named it.
              Working...
              X