Indirect technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indirect technique

Hello fellow knappin buddies. I am wanting to try some indirect percussion work, seems like a very accurate way to thin preform bifaces. If anyone can post some pics of your set-up for this i would appreciate it. I have tried to hold an oversized pressure flaker under my knee but just is not working out for me. Does anyone use a jig set up for this? I would like to see what you guys are doing. Do you use copper tips, what kind of billet etc. I thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry no help here
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

I seen Jackcrafty doing that, seem's like a neat method. But I don't have any info for You, I did hear of a Fluting Jig before though that seemed accurate. But that's probably not much help either, just came to mind.
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 12-17-2017, 06:42 PM.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

There is several videos on this on u tube. Patrick Blank or Jackcrafty has done several videos. My son has the flaker strapped to the top of his leg and does really well.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks willjo ill have to try that next. Im curious about the tip shape and materials used.

Comment

If you haven't just do a youtube search for jackcrafty videos and you will see his flaker being used. These are pretty neat
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hey guys - this sounds interesting. Never heard of "indirect percussion" Gonna learn some more new stuff I guess. Thanks.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Well - I checked out videos of Jack Crafty and also watched one by Paleomanjim regarding indirect percussion and now I know. Paleomanjim says the reason he uses this technique is because he can't get the desired effect he wants from pressure flaking and it makes sense. Impressive to watch how they build a platform then snap off a chunk of the surface material. The more of these videos I watch, the more impressed I am at the skill you knappers have in making these points and blades. All I can say is WOW!!!
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                X