Big Coral Arrow Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Coral Arrow Point

This point approaches the upper weight limit for an ancient arrow point. The point is 1.25 inch long and weighs 2.5 grams.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 570a.jpg Views:	2 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	289034 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 570a.jpg Views:	2 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	289035
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

It may be at the upper limit weight wise Ron but it will certainly punch a hole in anything it hits.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Beautiful point Ron! That coral is some nice looking material, are you working slabs or spalls or both? I'm guessing this was a spall or nice flake. I'm just wondering what this coral looks like in raw form. I often wonder that about materials as in were they nodules, stratified chunks eroded from layers etc. I have no idea what geologic scenario coral chert is produced. I don't expect you to answer all of that just curious what your coral chert looks like raw. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Josh, Bill sent me whole rocks from Florida. The smaller ones are from spalls and some of the larger ones are from slabs. The raw rock is mostly white inside and it does pick up some color with heat. I cooked it at high temp (600* F) see raw rocks below.

Agatized Coral
      The rough slab was heat treated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Agitized Coral 1a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.7 KB ID:	289072
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Agitized Coral 1b.jpg Views:	2 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	289073
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Agitized Coral 1c.jpg Views:	2 Size:	158.1 KB ID:	289074
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 03-03-2018, 09:12 PM.
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Very nice Ron.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Having handled some coral before I can imagine that when it is knapped to a point those edges are damn sharp...beauty of a point there...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Love it Ron . Such a talent .
            Thanks for the extra photos so I can see what you are working with . Is the white big coral the one you cooked ?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Tam, Yes I sawed a 3/8 inch thick slab. Actually several slabs and then heated them to 600 degrees after drying the rock at 250 degrees.

Every single time I click one of your threads, the cynic in me says "he probably can't keep being this good."
            Evey single time, you prove me wrong.

Amazing, Ron. You are truly gifted. Do you cool all rock at the same temp, or does it vary? And how long do you "cook" them?
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Jason, Most ot the materials that i use don't need to be heat treated at all. I dry the thin spalls (no more than half an inch thick) at 250*F for two days. Then raise the temp slowly to the desired high temp. Different materials require different temperatures.

You could just take that slab and put it on a holder . All those little what look like star bursts to me are the beauty .

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Tam, I have never polished a slab but that would be a fun hobby too. Johnny does polish stone and he does a beautiful job of it. See below for a closeup of the agatized coral. It is beautiful material.

Scope shot of agatized coral.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Agitized Coral 1e.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	289396
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome, thanks for the additional photos Ron!

It’s just an amazing lithic if that is what it is called .
            almost like wishy weeds . Star burst .
            you know how they put geodes on slabs of granite and sell them . This would trump that .

Comment

Working...
            X