3 Points and a Teardrop End Scraper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Points and a Teardrop End Scraper

1. I love that colorful Coastal Plain Chert that Johnny sent me.
    2. Texas Root Beer: I have many artifacts with cortex on the base so that's what I did here.
    3. Tiger Chert: I have a lot of ancient arrow points that average just three tenths of a gram. I was determined to knap one of these little arrow points. This one weighs in right at .3 of a gram. This is why we need a size reference.
    4. Burlington Chert: Unifaced Teardrop End Scraper. I left some cortex on the top side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 571a.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	289596 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 572a.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	289595 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 573a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	289597 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 574a.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	289598 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 574b.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	289599
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Really nice my friend . When I go back if I find a big hunk
    of red Jasper I’ll send it to you .
    I wonder why those are on some of my points .
    Usually a broken knife is the most common .
    Georgia does have some nice lithics .

Comment

So, was that tiny one as hard and nerve racking as I imagine it to be?
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jason, I have arthritis in my hands so to knap something that small is a real challenge.

Good looking points Ron, scraper is cool too! I like the rind base point most of all though! Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

You never know what color is in the cp, the white a lot of the time contains a blue core. Nice work Ron
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Informative post about that cortex. I have a piece or two that have it on there. I think they are scrapers too. The placement of the cortex on the scraper almost makes it kinda like a thumb grip. Blue ribbon work again Ron. If I had to pick a fav it would be the Coastal Chert...based upon lithic only. Colorful lithic attracts me like bling to a crow...being from Burlington Chert Illinois and all...nice ones man...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Frank, I have spent considerable time studying ancient teardrop end scrapers. I believe that they were hafted in a socketed handle for a number of reasons. 1. The common shape lends itself to being hafted in a socketed handle with pine pitch glue. 2. The use wear on the distal end of some teardrop end scrapers shows that they were used on hard materials such as wood, shell, and even softer rock. 3. Many teardrop end scrapers were snapped off near the proximal end where they were hafted.

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the feedback Ron. I have a few that are broke at the haft. I'm going to look them over for that wear that you mentioned.

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Frank, I am curious to know if you found the use wear especially on the teardrop end scrapers that were snapped off on the proximal end. These little teardrop scraper were used to flesh out hides too but that would only leave polish as use wear. See use wear below:

Use wear on Teardrop End Scrapers :
          Click image for larger version  Name:	S1 Distal End & Lateral Edges.jpg Views:	2 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	290142
          Click image for larger version  Name:	S5 Distal End.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	290138 Click image for larger version  Name:	S7 Distal End.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.5 KB ID:	290139 Click image for larger version  Name:	S12 Distal End.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	290140 Click image for larger version  Name:	S15 Distal End.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.6 KB ID:	290141
          Last edited by Ron Kelley; 03-10-2018, 01:06 PM.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
          X