Still Learning from my Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Learning from my Mistakes

I purchased a box full of Brazilian Agate rocks. They are about the size and shape of a baseball. This material needs heat treat and I did OK on that. Where I messed up was cutting slabs through the center of the rock. The outer agate flakes well and I will cut slabs from the outer part of the rocks from now on. The white material in the center of the rock is packed full of tiny little crystals that do not flake. All I could do is crush that into shape. This is a long prep before I get to the knapping and I hope I do better on the rocks I still have. I knapped a coral point today too and that one came off without a hitch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 579a.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	290161 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 579b.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	290162 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 580a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	290163 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 580b.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	290164
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Oh that is so cool! Love the crystalline interior.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Loving that Brazilian Agate nice work!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice work Ron, I went across the river the coral that you made from is found in. I was going down to South West Georgia to an arrowhead show,
        Last edited by willjo; 03-10-2018, 07:55 PM.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool Johnny, Did you pick up some?

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          No we had vehicle loaded going to show and the part of the river we crossed was a swamp area.

That Agate is beautiful! Looks like you have a tricky saw Job on your hands!? I hope you can get some useable portions out. I'd love to see the cores of unusable material after you saw them as that should be interesting. I have a slab of polished agate about 3.5 x1.5 at home ive had for years and contemplated knapping but was afraid to mess with it as its only 1/8th full thick, I still may though😈. Nice job with the coral too!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That’s a pretty rock, any way you slice it!
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
          X