Not a Known Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Known Type

You would not find this one in the books but this is my idea of a cultivator. I think I could lash it to a branched limb (like an adze) and hoe the garden weeds. It's six inches long and just over half an inch thick.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 582a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	290291 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 582a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	290292
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice work like usual Yooper. The modern version of the ancient Garden Weasel? Great work man...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha Frank, This is a garden Wolverine.

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      A Michigan Wolverine at that...

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH MMMMMYYYYY Ron - That sure is purdy and functional to boot. Great work!!
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice work Ron
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It reminds me of this!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s a modern take on a medieval boar spear, the prongs are to keep a charging boar pinned from “running up” the shaft

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jay, Last night I was looking at this thing and thinking that it would stop any charging animal. Heavy enough to stay in one piece too.

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          You beat me to it.👍 Exactly what I saw.

Very unique design Ron! I was thinking what Jay is showing... It would be a cool piece hafted up in a thrusting spear or adze style like you mentioned. I like when you think outside the box! Thanks for sharing!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Josh, I think I will put it on a heavy spear. I plan to notch the pole so that the entire haft shows. Use rawhide and make an X design on the haft.

That's a rare type...in the ancient language it was called a "gottagitcheewon"👍 Beautiful piece, as usual.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Yeah buddy! Beautiful work, Ron! It resembles a Merkle, although much larger.

Comment

Maybe the people who made Evans points had similar ideas in mind. Nowhere near as big, though. Great job per usual, Ron...

Rhode Island

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Charlie, That sure is the same design. I had never seen an artifact or even picture like the Evans. Interesting to me that no matter what style point I knap someone already made a similar point in ancient history.

What was your inspiration or thought process behind the conceptual design?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              cultivator for weeding the garden. I know that it's not shaped like an ancient hoe but it seems to me that this would work better.

Kinda makes me think of mississipian period Daggers. I'm sure you've seen the Duck River Cache Ron? if not check it out. But there are some fun looking exotic forms in that cache! I'm trying to think of what's the longest you've knapped probably in the 7-8 inch range guessing? I couldn't imagine handling a 20+ inch long spall and doing what they did... I'm just thinking out loud but you should check those out.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Josh, Yes the Duck River swords are awesome. The longest thin knife I knapped was 8.75 inches and I wrapped that one to prevent vibration shock.

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember that one now Ron.

Ron the work on that is so nice . You need to make a boar spear . I would feel safe walking through the woods with that . I always have a little 38 but that would seal the deal on predator safety .

Comment

Working...
            X