Attleboro Red Rhyolite + 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attleboro Red Rhyolite + 3

My Rhyolite point is pretty rough but it would work. It's 1.5 inch long. Thanks Jay!
    The Edwards knife is 4.5 inches long. It was a real thick spall so took longer than most.
    I made another 8" harpoon point. The barbs are sharper and have bigger spaces.
    The short awl is just 3 inches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 651a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	301260 Click image for larger version  Name:	short Awl.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	572756
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 652a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.3 KB ID:	301259Click image for larger version  Name:	Harpoon 2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	301256Click image for larger version  Name:	Harpoon 2b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	301257
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-28-2021, 08:26 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

It really takes some elbow grease to knap the stuff huh! Stubborn material for sure. From the looks of your success with it though it looks like youd rank up there with the guys who worked with it in the past. And that knife blade is another beauty too for sure. Hey isn’t deer bone fun to work with ? There’s so many tools you can make out of them. I’ve worked with deer moose beaver snapping turtle coyote woodchuck squirrel turkey goose and a few other species’s bones and I’ve found moose and coyote to be my favorites. I like using bones that I’ve found in the woods that’s been exposed to the elements just the right amount, a good “seasoned” bone that’s dried out just right but not brittle or weak and the marrow is gone. Green bone seems a bit too rubbery (for lack of a better way to describe it ) and doesn’t scrape as nice as a seasoned one does. And by scrape I mean when I work bone a lot of times I use either one of my knives or a flake ,depending on how primitive I feel like making my project ,to scrape or shave it down by holding the blade angled away from the cut.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, When I finally got an angled edge on the rhyolite then I could snap off good sized flakes. That smooth edge is tough to work with. I stored the bones in open air indores for two years before working them. I have some big ant hills: like two feet tall. I like to put bones on the ant hills and let the ants clean them up.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a lot of porcupine and they eat up the bone pretty fast.

No porcupine down here, the mice and squirrels leave most of the bone I find alone, but antler is another story!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Nice Edwards Knife, barbs on that Harpoon nice too!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
      X