Pebble Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebble Point

There are no chert outcroppings near my home. We have limestone. I have been wanting to knap something that I can pick up a home. I'm sure all flintknappers would like to knap something from their own area. Today I was about a mile from home helping a friend pour a floor for his new deer camp. As I was walking around I spotted a black pebble that looked like it would flake. Sure enough it did flake and I got a little point. I am going to be picking up more glacial pebbles.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 653a.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	301405
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That really looks like the basalt points i find here.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chad, It has little white veins running through the black stone.

Hey right on!!! That opens up a whole ‘nuther world for you! And what a great little point too. But the fact that you know you have access to a local usable lithic that all you gotta do is find is definitely the better score! And isn’t the feeling you get from working something you’ve found yourself make it seem cooler too?
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, I knew you would understand the feeling of knapping something local even if it was transported by a glacier. Not the same as going to a rock quarry but we have lots of glacial material to sort through.

True local Point Ron! Cool
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, My only problem is I like to know what the material is that I am knapping. With glacial deposits it's all mixed together and most of it won't flake.
Working...
X