Montana Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana Lithics

I really enjoy knapping different lithic materials. Chad sent me more rocks that had been collected by the ancient people. The five inch knife is a weak siltstone. The dart point is a tough siltstone. The quartzite is just mean tough. lol I think that Chad's big ancient knife is probably the same material as the dart point. Thanks again Chad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 654.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	301545 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 655.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	301546 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 656.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	301547
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Excellent turnouts again Ron. Ya know that quartz has gotta be a darn tough material because a lot of the ancient ones I see posted are really worn out looking...like they got alotta use for a long time...the dart has a Cahokia influence look to me. Are the flake marks on the knife that pronounced due to workability of the lithic or is that just your personal touch? I really like it...it brings out the grain in the material and that little stain on the base came out pretty cool...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Frank, The weaker materials tend to flake like that. The spot between the notches is a bit of cortex.

Very nice Ron. Glad that you were able to turn out something with that stuff. Ill keep an eye out for
    any more quarry blanks or spalls. Ill send any we find your way. Neat to think that you got to finish what someone else started 4000 to 10000 years ago.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chad, The big knife came from the star spall. The dart point which is a tougher siltstone came from the softball sized core. I think that lighter colored material is to weak for a Native American knife but the darker siltstone would work good. I have lots more stone to play with.

I am convinced you could carve a point out of cat hair.

You are one one truly talented dude.👍👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha Ha Thanks Jason, I think a person could continue to learn more about knapping different lithic material for a lifetime. And still have more to learn.

I think you are 100% correct!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

You truly have the knack for knapping Ron.
      How many different lithics are you up to now?
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bruce, I have 52 on the list that i know. I have knapped several lithics that are not on the list because I don't know what they are.
    Working...
    X