Cobden + 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobden + 4

The first three points are from rock that Johnny gave me. This is the first time that I have knaped Cobden so added another to my knaped lichics list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 681 -  685.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	304762
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Good looking Point's Ron.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, I think i over did it with pressure flaking today. lol I got a cramp in my right arm and couldn't straighten my index finger.

Those look sharp as heck! I like em all! But I’m extra partial to the 2nd and 5th blades
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, Those are Cobden and Tiger Chert.

Ron, do You do direct or indirect? That indirect way look's like it might be easier on People. 5 Point's either way though I'm sure would be felt!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      These were all pressure flaked Josh. Percussion work is a lot easier on the mussels.

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright, I see. There is a Knapper out here I watch at Mastodon Arch. Day's and He uses an indirect method. Not for Spalling but for edge work and notches. But I guess that's Percussion and not the gradual pressure.

Good day of knapping to get all of those done! I know about those cramps and pains though. Looks like you got ahold of some Tallahata quartzite also...Cobden looks fun and gotta love those bullseyes. I got me some of that primo thin Texas rock coming my way, Can't wait! Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Josh, I know where that guy collects his Texas chert. It's all Edwards and most of it is glassy.

Great pieces, the Cobden is in my wheel house and is one of my favorite lithics along with dongola chert. Even though they are from very close to me they are still less common than Dover and other southern lithics. I think due to the cumberland and Tenn. River flowing north into the Ohio River.

Comment

Nice work Ron, I was thinking the two points on each side of the Cobden point was Alabates and I do have some of that so that must be what those are.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Johnny, Yes you sent me a good sized rock. I had forgotten what you called it.
    Working...
    X