Knife and dart point: Still learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife and dart point: Still learning

This morning I knapped a knife and dart point. The knife is Keokuk. It is a little to fat in the middle for my tastes, but it is very sharp, and functional. The "dart point is made of, a material that I am not familiar with.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

In that picture it looks like Mahogany Obsidian.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

how big is the knife? The right side in the picture looks like it could make a good platform to thin that down. Just grind the edge and give it a couple of whacks.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

You've got a good bevel going on with the right side of the first piece. Keep up the work and you will start to figure out how to push off flakes to the midpoint. If you keep your edges ground dull and bite more material with your flaker while using a pushing and snapping motion you will drive off longer flakes. It took me a while to figure it all out and I still struggle at times but you will eventually see what works and what doesn't for making bi facial tools. As a matter of survival just being able to carve out sharp flakes would absolutely work though. Keep on keeping on!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
        X