8 New points today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 New points today

I took a look at the bone tools that were recovered on Cahokia and decided to make a few. Knapped two Root Beer points today too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	308360 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	308356 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	308357 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	308358 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	308359 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hook 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	308361
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 703a.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	308362 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 704a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	308363
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-13-2018, 08:02 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Here are some ancient artifacts from Cahokia.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bone tools.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	308370
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

THAT IS OUTSTANDING!!! You did a spectacular job!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice work Ron
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wow Ron love the bones! That second one looks very sharp.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Really neat work Ron!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Ron , I don’t even know what to say .. That bone work is just over the top . I like the ancient examples as well for comparison .
              I know you like that root beer flint those came out great . How the heck did you do the bone did you use a file ? Ancient ways of course .

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Tamara, The bone tools are all modern. Dremel tool.

Those bone tools are just awesome! I would love to have known there use duiring that time. I could see them being flashy status symbols, guessing whoever carried those was a bad man lol! Really interesting stuff though I'm glad you recreated some of it Ron!

The points are darn nice too! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Isn’t fun making repo’s of actual artifacts! I like finding pictures of stuff and trying my hand at em too. Fishhooks are fun to make, hey did you notice how small the groove is on them? And remember awhile back we all had a discussion on plummets and how some people didn’t agree they were for fishing because of how small the grooves on some of them were? Look how small those grooves are and imagine a struggling fish on the end of one, apparently that small a groove worked for them just fine it seems based off those examples. And the harpoons you made look great and just like the originals, awesome job my friend!
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will darken the bone tools with red ochre but I have not yet decided what I want to use with it, maybe paint thinner. not sure

• OnewiththewilD
                  OnewiththewilD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mineral oil so it soaks in a bit and charcoal to darken it up?

• OnewiththewilD
                  OnewiththewilD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Believe it or not, they don’t take that much work to make. Even the fancy ones if you’ve got the right tools around for the job (even primitively) and the know how to do it.

Don’t laugh Ron , I used olive to clean up some antlers . Had to make it work with what I had at the time . It actually makes a good paste base to . The oil is so heavy the molecular make up of the organics I used were smaller and soaked in ... ochre ... coffee , paprika got into some red clay , I know but I was out in nowhere’s ville

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's cool Tam. I have used coffee to "age" bone but it didn't get as dark as I had hoped.

Wow Ron I enjoy lookin at your work ...root beer is sweet ....I was just asking hoss yday if he had any bone hooks ..and he has one. .but it's packed away ....and here you go today showing an example....Thanx man
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Nicw work Ron Bone makes a very bad smell when worked with a sander.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron , what kind of bone did you use ? Animal type

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                      Ron Kelley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Tamara, Those are all from Whitetail Deer leg bones,

Thanks Ron , again extremely impressive . Wayne kept eyeing those .

Comment

Amazements as usual!👍👍👍

cahokia is an amazing site, nice use of the relics from there as examples...
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                      X