4.75" Ground Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.75" Ground Point

Have any of you guys ever ground a point on an abrading stone? It seems to me that this took far too long to be practical. I could have knapped the same point from chert in one tenth the time. I picked up this flat piece of rock down by the river. I thought is was a gray slate. Maybe i used the wrong stone. Maybe i don't know how to grind it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 776.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	319512
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

I have never tried but that looks cool. Good job !
    east Tx.

Comment

Well, for not knowing 100% what you were doing, that looks great! Consider yourself the master of knappers!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s a great looking blade! And yeah that looks like a dense Slate. Ours here is actually fairly easy to work, I cheat and do mine with sandpaper,lol. I’ll add pics later of mine if that’s cool?
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Jay, That is very cool. "Geterdone"

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jay - I'm falling over slate here on the mountain. It's a dark variety but seems soft and crumbly. I'd really like to see what you've come up with.

I imagine the people who made those only had slate. Or very little flint?

Comment

I used sandpaper years ago on an Esopus Creek chert point I made and was amazed at how easy it took down the high spots. I did not smooth it all the way but snapaper worked well on it. I still have that point some where. Moving so much is not fun as thing get put inh boxes on shelves and no telling when I will open that box again. When I do I will be happy and surpriesed at my treasures.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Hoss - Everyday's a new day and left over moving boxes is just like the proverbial "box of chocolates."

I really like that look on that blade Ron. Great work especially when you started with no knowledge of the stone.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have seen photos of slate points that suggested at least some were quickly "knapped" into a rough shape and finished by grinding it into its final shape. In the photos there were some obvious flaking scars that hadnt been fully ground away. Did you employ any sort of reduction other than grinding? Maybe that would speed up the process?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              I did but the grinding took a long time. I suspect that this rock is harder than some that were used.

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I should probably try that.

Jay and Matt both mentioned using sandpaper. Today I polished the ground slate point with sandpaper. It didn't remove much stone but it did remove a lot of scratches. Now you can see the gray-green color of the rock.

Name:	Point 776b.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	319720
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              If you want a polished appearance, use 350 grit or stronger sandpaper.

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              That is, if you want it really shiny.

I can see the difference.... That worked well ...how thick is that rock Ron?
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Red, The finished point is right at a quarter of an inch thick.

Name:	49CD89DD-64EE-4C1E-B00B-C19616C768A2.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	319768 Ok here’s mine
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              How did you get the cross hatching on there? I would have used a pocket knife, but I would probably cross hatch my hand instead.

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              I just scratched it in. Thanks man!

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome Jay good craftsmanship

WOW Jay, That is one cool looking point. I like the crosshatching.
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

Those are both nice pieces of work. I had never heard of a ground point until I read recent post that Chase put up where an ancient ground point was found under melting ice in the Yukon...I guess it just was not cost effective so to speak. Could one take that finished ground point and pressure flake edges on it or is that material not conducive to that method? Again fine work fellas...you are tempting me more and more to venture into that hobby...
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Frank, It doesn't flake. There are ground slate points in the north east.
            Working...
            X