Paleo style "arrow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo style "arrow"

I found a large piece of Carter Cave chert in my field, so I took it home to knap it. I gave a it big wack with my billet, and a perfect triangle shape with the perfect thickness popped out. I wasn't going to let it go to waste, so with a little bit of micro flaking, I made a "Paleoish" arrowhead. I made an arrow for it, and it looks pretty good. Granted, the Native Americans didn't get bows and arrows until much later, I'll let this detail slide once. I do need help though. I would like to fletch it, but I am not sure how. I have plenty of turkey feathers, so fletches are not a problem. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1220.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	319600 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1222.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	319601 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1223.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	319602
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

It took me a while, to think of a way to tie it on, lol!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Ethan, Nice arrow. I would use pine pitch glue as part of the haft. I would use pine pitch glue and sinew for the fletching. There are thread on this site.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Unless you want to mess with glue I would suggest Bohning feather fletching tape, do a search for this I buy mine from Three rivers archery but there is several sources for it.. All you have to do is prepare the feathers or fletching put tape on feather then peel off strip that protects adhesive then place it on arrow, then if you want to you can split artificial sinew down to one strand and wrap fletching to secure it better. The tape is double sided and the easiest way to do that.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that I will try both on a scrap piece first.

Use the feathers from the left wing of a turkey.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jay, That is a cool tip. Would it work to use the right wing and have the arrow spin the opposite direction?

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Goodness knows, I have plenty of feathers!

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question! Lol, I dunno?!

KP, before you tie on yer points but after you’ve made your notch, sand down the tip of the shaft to a rounded point, I know your only making display pieces but that square end to the stick creates a stop from your point going into your game.
        And if you’ve got pine growing down there you gotta learn how to make resin next!

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to make some authentic arrows, so I will have the tip rounded. Pines are scarce down here, so we typically don't mess with them. My mom has a friend in GA and goodness knows they have a lot of pine trees! I might get him to send me some.

You don’t have to harm to trees to get sap, look for where a branch broke off or for a damaged spot, you’ll find the sap globs there. The sap is usually filled with crap so ( outside) cut a soda can in half and put the globs in there and on a LOW heat melt it down to liquid then scoop out the debris, then as it’s cooling a bit mix in dry ground up deer crap and ground up black charcoal dust.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          We definitely have deer crap...

Im pretty sure you’ve seen this but it’s a good pic to illustrate the hafting, pitch resin and sinew wrap Click image for larger version

Name:	47C7CD1A-F3B3-496C-A54E-DD856616CF24.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	319666

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't seen it, but it looks great! I can't wait to try it!

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s the last atlatl dart I made.
      Working...
      X