Jasper Ishi Point & a Knapping Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper Ishi Point & a Knapping Tip

I like the Ishi style points. As I was knapping the notches I realized that I had never mentioned one of my flaking tips. After filing the copper to a small end I use sandpaper to make sure there are no small burs that will catch on the edge of the notch. If you leave burs on the copper it's easy to break off an ear or shoulder.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 777.jpg Views:	2 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	319641
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 777.jpg Views:	2 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	319642
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That is a beautiful point! Good tip as well. I haven't tried it yet, but I will!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That's beautiful!
      South Carolina

Comment

Nice work ... beauty
        SW Connecticut

Comment

nice work

i use a horse shoe nail for notching,run a file across the four sides and the tip every couple of flakes

Comment

Beautiful point Ron. How do you get the tip so sharp without breaking it off in the process.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Chuck, You have to take tiny little flakes to get a needle tip like that. Also it's important to support the stone well while pushing flakes off.
          Working...
          X