5" Kentucky Hornstone Blade / No Hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" Kentucky Hornstone Blade / No Hinges

We have all seen points that were identified as modern by those telltale clean hinges. If you are careful AND lucky you can knapp a blade that has no hinges. That's what we always try to do but some times it's just not possible.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 780a.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	319957
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That's a great blade! I love that Hornstone! I think that some of the coolest parts of your creations is the flake pattern. Where did you get the Hornstone?

P.S. Next, I want to see a Novaculite Dalton and Hornstone Lost Lake! Just an idea.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ethan, I have a friend who lives in Kentucky and he has sent me some real nice material.

Now that’s a great looking and I bet great working blade! I love that one awesome
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, And I was thinking the same thing. I know I could cut steaks with this one. I think a five inch knife is ideal for actual use.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess we could call it a four inch blade with a one inch tang.

Impeccable knapping craftsmanship.nice...can you explain and show a hinge to a non knapper Ron?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Red, Thanks for the question. Check out the post below with a photo showing several small hinges.

Awesome blade Ron. I have some artifacts that still have hinges on them.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

A hinge is a piece of stone at the end of a flake that doesn't release. I had to do some looking through my photos because i try to not leave any hinges. When the flake feathers out it does not leave a hinge. There are several hinges on this point that are obvious: They are the light colored stone. The hinges on my modern point are clean. On an ancient point there will usually be mineral deposits under the hinge.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinges 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	320099

Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I see nice example Ron ...I learned something new today...appreciate it
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I was going to say that you rarely have any hinges on your creations Ron and then I saw your reply to redrocks.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
          X