Percussion Bifaces & Kerrville Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percussion Bifaces & Kerrville Knife

Some days I enjoy just making percussion bifaces to be used later. My plan is always to thin the rock without losing too much length or width. The third biface was beginning to look like a Kerrville Knife so I decided to finish it as such.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Biface 2a.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	326014 Click image for larger version

Name:	Biface 2b.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	326012 Click image for larger version

Name:	Biface 1a.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	326013 Click image for larger version

Name:	Biface 1b.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	326011 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 797a.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	326015 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 797b.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	326017 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 797c.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	326016
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Very cool, Ron! I can't wait to see what you turn those into! That knife looks good too.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ethan, That's my third Kerrville knife and this one is the most refined.

Hey Ron - I find it really interesting when you post your work with the waste flakes accompanying the piece. Beautiful work as usual. But I noticed in the 2nd and 3rd pic that the blade edges have been fairly heavily ground. Is there a reason for that?? Or am I wrong??
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, You're absolutely right. I always ablade the edge before taking another flake from the same area. If you try to take a flake without abrading the edge the platform will crush rather than remove a good sized flake. I have gone through a lot of abrading stones.

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Understand - Never gave that much thought but it makes sense. I guess you only have to go through that experience once before you figure it out, Huh.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Abrading has always been an important part of flintknapping even in ancient times.

Nice work Ron .as always .. can you put up a pic of an abrading stone since there always seems to be questions among some guys I know as to what is and what isn't an abrading stone?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red, I have used many abrading stones even after they fall into smaller pieces.

Hey Red, Here are a few abrading stones. The Abo tools are sandstone. I also have some corse abrading stones not in the picture. Today I used mostly the corse abrading stones.

Name:	Abrading Stones.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	326047
    Michigan Yooper

Comment

These are ancient hammerstones that doubled as abrading stones: That was common to use the same stone for percussion work and abrading.

Name:	Hammerstone 4d, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	326050 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammerstone 4b, NW Tennessee.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	326049
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Nice that's an awesome example of what kind of stone and what to. look for as far as clues to use wear on abrading tools...that answered my question superbly ...you just enhanced my knowledge when hunting for tools thanks a lot Ron
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the tips about the techniques employed in flint knapping. I really appreciate your showing us the old hammer/abrading stone. Do you remember what type of site you found it on? (archaic, woodland, etc.) It may make no difference I guess. I suppose hammerstones are probably pretty much the same wherever they are found.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Joe, You are right: Hammerstones and abrading were used through all flintknapping in America. These hammerstones were gifts from Arrowheads.com members and I like the gifts. I have one hammerstone that has it all: Pecked thumb holds on both sides, Percussion use wear, and abrading scars. I really like that one.
        Working...
        X