3.5" Big Sandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5" Big Sandy

I haven't had much time to knap lately. I'm helping my Buddy build a deer camp (24' X 26' two story.) And tomorrow the plan is to slaughter two hogs. Well this evening when we finished work for the day I still had half an hour of daylight so I knapped a point. Photos by flashlight lol.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 798a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	326524 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 798b.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	326525
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice point Ron neat material
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Excellent work Ron. Nice pics for flashlight.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Looks really sharp too!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Is that white part of the cortex? That’s beautiful, whatever it is.👍👍
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jason, The white is in the chert. Not cortex. The blurry looking white is under brown chert and the bright white is on the surface.
            Last edited by Ron Kelley; 10-19-2018, 04:06 AM.

That's sweet good work Ron
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Hi Ron, During my long hiatus I often didn't get the chance to see your works of art. It's obvious that your skills haven't deteriorated over time. Still making beautiful stuff. That may be the best Big Sandy replica I've ever seen. Just wondered if you took the time to grind the base a bit. I can't tell from the photo. But, of course, BS points do not have to be ground-some were, some weren't.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joe, I like your posts. Lately I have been abrading the bases and notches on all my points and blades. It just seems a logical thing to do. Abrading could prevent cutting the sinew on the haft and help keep the shaft from splitting on contact. These pictures are not good but you will notice that there are no scallops on the edges of the base.

Nice Big Sandy! Is that root beer chert? Have fun with the deer camp!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ethan, Root Beer Edwards Chert it is.

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I keep telling myself that I have to get some!
          Working...
          X