No announcement yet.

Tennessee Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron - it's absolutely awesome to see what you've done with that lithic material. It would have been a real waste to have kept it. Now it's been made into something with a useful purpose.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, I feel another level of connection with the past when I knap these stones that were held by the ancient people.

This morning I knapped the last three pieces that Chuck sent me. I'm happy to report that I was able to get a point from every stone. Some was easy, some was tough, some was wicked tough and that's what keeps it interesting. Thanks again Chuck. BTW if you do take up flintknapping you should start with some of your beautiful Tennessee Hornstone. That material is a real pleasure to knap.

Every time I have seen this white patina it was covering some high grade chert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	328739 Click image for larger version

Name:	8b.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	328740

Name:	8c.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	328741
    Well I guess the first one was too easy LOL. This next one is some real tough rock.

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	328742

Name:	5b.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	328743

Name:	5c.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	328744
    By the time I got a point from this last one there wasn't much stone left but I like it.

Name:	10a.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	328745

Name:	10c.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	328746
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron - is the material used for the 2nd point considered Rhyolite? It looks very similar.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Chuck, Yes that is the same Rhyolite. There was four pieces of that tough guy.

Awesome! I really like the points you are releasing from the rock!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ethan, Some are happy to be released and some fight tooth and nail to stay in there. After all that rock has been their home for a very long time.

When you have knapped all of the material, show us a group photo of all the points!

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        I can do that. I'll throw something in for size reference.

OK here's a group shot of the 11 points. The quarter is an inch across or 15/16 if you're a perfectionist.

Name:	Group.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	328937
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Ron ..I missed this group shot...awesome work there with some tuff lithics

Just look at those beauties. And to think - all I had was very rough pieces with little character. Talk about rebirth.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chuck, And most of those were discarded because they had stacks.

Beautiful group you have there! That is a great example of Tennessee stone.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ethan, It is a special time when my friends send me local rock to knap. I have 55 different kinds of rock on my knapped lithics list and many of them were gifts from good friends like Chuck.

Wow..... I have beat on very similar looking rhyolite for hours and had little more to show for it than sore hands and thick, crude bifaces........ just, wow.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Garrett, Thanks man. You appreciate the effort that went into the rhyolite points. I look for natural platforms and hit them with force. Once you get a good flake scar you can work off of that one. It's not easy.

“With force”.... sounds painful to me!
      I have a 10 inch solid brass billet (1.25”dia). It must weigh 4-5 lbs. i swing that thing hard enough to bruise my thigh. I seem to either break the piece in half or i get a little copper smudge on my platform. Not sure if its my angles or my aim! Lol!!!

Comment

Working...
      X