Cordage / Lashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordage / Lashing

These are the materials that i have used. I will continue to work with other materials out of curiosity.

Milkweed

Click image for larger version

Name:	13 foot 6 inch Milkweed Cordage.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	332365
    Wild Grape

Name:	cordage, Grape Vine.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	332366
    Goldenrod

Name:	Cordage Goldenrod.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	332367
    Deer Sinew

Name:	Deer Sinew.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	332368
    Dogbane

Name:	Dogbane Cordage 4.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	332369
    Rawhide

Name:	Rawhide.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	332370
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Sweet! The golden rod looks best, aesthetically speaking. What will you use them for? I thought it was funny to see the nice, neatly twisted rows of cordage, then I scroll down to the deer sinew and it looks like a tornado damaged birds nest, lol!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      If your getting into making primitive stuff your gonna need to learn to make cordage too! It’s a great skill to have

Thanks Ethan, I use them for knife wrapping and hafting and pendant neck loop. The Goldenrod looks good but is the weakest of all.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Dogbane milkweed and sinew are the best I’ve come across so far too. The grapevine I’ve braided ended up kinda brittle once dried. I’ve never tried goldenrod for cordage either. They all look like you did a great job too
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jay, You know that tanned leather is kinda weak. I was surprised how strong a small strip of rawhide is. It's a lot tougher than tanned leather from the same hide.

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      I use raw hide too, it’s way stronger than tanned leather for sure! Try wetting some a little bit till it just becomes manageable then braiding that up, you could hang off of it

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve tried red cedar strips, if you get it just right you can pull off pretty sizable strips, then you clean it kinda like dogbane, you just work your way down the strip pulling off random bark and thick sections to even it out, then knee roll and braid like normal. I found it kinda flakey though. I’m sure the natives had their tricks cause I’ve read it was often used. I bet it works like the dogbane in the sense that it can be wet and dried over and over without falling apart.

Good work Ron I am modern semi primitive when it comes to hafting
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny, I gathered this milkweed at the right time and it is real strong.

Hey Ron ...Nice examples of how it was done.... interesting. Thanx for showing these diff cordages
    SW Connecticut

Comment

i love making cordage

Ron you should try stinging nettle
      kind of a bugger at first to work,until you get the stingers off of it,but makes some super strong cordage

my wife has a couple of plants in the back yard,nl idea what they are
      but i noticed that the long narrow leaves looked quit fiberous (is that a word?)
      so i yanked one of and gave it a try
      amazingly strong,but kind of a bugger to process as the leaves are narrow and the other material that makes up the leaf is also tough
      waiting for them to go dormant and then i will try again

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve yet to try stinging nettle or wood nettle, but I’ve read the natives used it too and that it does indeed make great cordage. Thanks for reminding me!

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tim, I will have to try some nettle some day.

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my gosh that stuff kills me ...

The patch of dogbane out in my woods woods is choking itself out. I went the other day to harvest some. There’s still a bit of it growing there but the patch just isn’t what it was. This next season I’ll have to gather up some pods and try transplanting some somewhere else.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jay, Good luck with the transplant. I would have thought that with an established patch that it would spread on its own. My milkweed patches are bigger and thicker this year.

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s been there for years but the other surrounding growth is choking it out. I’ll have to do some pruning too

No I like that dogbane . Going to have to look that plant up and see if it grows here . Need to try that .

Comment

Working...
      X