Cabin fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin fever

Snow covering all the arrowheads, 20 deg. and bored. I found a couple quartz points over the years and as usual they are crude adenas . Always wished I'd find a decent one. Figured I would make one that I would like to find. Took a nice hardin and made a mold of it then cast an epoxy replica . Added some debris in the b half to keep it from being totally clear. Didn't turn out great but used up some time. Guess I will make another frame of this yrs. finds. In any case here it is.
    SE IA

I don't think you did bad at all! How did you do it, and where did you get the supplies? I would love to make a cast of my Hopewell.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Went to Hobbylobby and bought some clay, non-hardening. Made a long ball and flattened it on the table. Then took my point and pressed it in making sure it was exactly 1/2 way. in the flat side then turned it over and bent the clay a little to remove the point. Then bent it back to flat and pressed it on the table again to flatten it out. I then did the same thing for the other side. Mixed up the 5 minute epoxy and poured it in each mold one at a time . After the epoxy set 24 hrs I put them in the freezer for 15 min. and popped out the casts. Without freezing it was a mess getting the clay off the cast, it still was but hot water and a tooth brush removed the clay. After a day I put each 1/2 on sand paper to get them exactly flat and kept sanding till the 2 halfs fit perfect. Mixed up a little epoxy and glued them together and kept pressure on them to keep them in correct alignment . I'm sure there is an easier way that is more professional but it worked for me. If I didn't want the clear look I would of used 2 part cement patch for a more of a stone feel and look, you can even dye it first for colors. Years ago I tried the professional mold making compound but it required a release agent and still I really thought I would break the point getting it out so not going that route again I tried the easier way. Hobbylobby has a mould making kit that is a kinda latex rubber material but didn't want to spend 40 bucks for a one time thing. Good luck. And thanks for the OK

Forgot to say it took about 6 attempts for each 1/2 before I got it right. And 3 different pour attempts. Again good luck.
      Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM.
      SE IA

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Hobby Lobby! One of my favorite haunts...

I will try it. Thank you very much!

Agree with KP - I think you did a fine job there oldrocks2. Interesting technique.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Wow that came out nice ...cool post OR
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
        X