Primitive polish banded gorget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primitive polish banded gorget

I have made a few gorgets before, but now that I look at them, the holes are way to big and close together. Another thing I noticed is that I used to spray them with a lacquer, or rubbed them with oil. I decided to do it "the natural way" by rubbing my finished piece on a piece of wet leather. This gorget is my first 99% NA way made repro, except for the fact that I used a drill. It doesn't look bad and I plan on doing it this way for good. One thing that I would like to point out is that not all slate is like that down here. This is the first piece I remember looking like this, and I have no clue where I got it from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	333874 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	333875
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

That's cool man, beautiful material! Been making some Gorgets myself when I can find time.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      They are something easy and fun to make after school. Next I want to start making reel gorgets and anchor pendants. Those would be cool.

Cool KP
    SW Connecticut

Comment

That's pretty nice. What did you use to work it in to shape?
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Sidewalk.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to move on to something else so I don't wear it down over time. I'll use a large, smooth stone then put wet sand on it then grind.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Sidewalk, lol. I had this picture in my head of you grinding stuff on the ground but I figured surely not.. Turns out I was wrong, lol
    Working...
    X