Georgia Agate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Agate

Hi Y'all, I'm new to the site, came over from Arrowheadology. Here's some recent work, some nice GA Agate from Dave Swetmon.

Hello! Welcome to the forum! That is a darn nice point you have. Glad to see another knapper here.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Maya, glad you made it over from there. We don't know wth is going on the 'ology site. Welcome in here!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice to see you over here I have a rock saw I got from Dave, good person. Do you go to the North Ga Knap-in?
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• MayaEccentric
            MayaEccentric commented
            Editing a comment
            Howdy, I'm in Central Texas; I see Dave annually at Flint Ridge, and have known him for years from his travels to Texas to collect rock. A great guy, indeed; he gave me good advise when I was in the market for a saw, and it worked out very well. He always travels with great quality rock. Thanks for the note.

Welcome Maya. That is a sweet piece?
          South Dakota

Comment

Hey Maya, Glad to see you here. That's a real nice blade. I love the color combo.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very nice .

Comment

Welcome aboard....I saw the name and the Georgia lithics and started wondering if you were one of the people involved in the study of the maya connection to Georgia...then you said you were in Texas, so maybe ??
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• MayaEccentric
                  MayaEccentric commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Jethro, I have been an avocational student of Maya culture and related archeology since the 80's, travelled extensively in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize, and participated in several archeological projects there. I am not aware of any solid evidence that the Ancient Maya established colonies along the upper Gulf Coast or Georgia. I seem to remember that Maya or Olmec-style artifacts may have been found there, but those my have been trade items - I'm a bit fuzzy on those details. Thanks for the note.

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There was some sort of theory that the majority of blue pigment they used for their sacrifices was imported from Georgia, even going so far as to link it through isotope identification. I don’t know if it’s wishful thinking or just a bunch of hooey, or if there’s something to it. They said that at the bottom of one of the Cenotes there was a layer of the blue clay/pigment mixed with human bones nearly 5 meters thick. They said the amount of pigment it would take to create a layer that large did not exist anywhere in Central America, and apparently there is a site somewhere in the Chaatahoochie national Forrest that has been found but deemed off limits by the parks service people. I just find all the “what if” stuff fascinating.

Nice work
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                X