A lotta rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lotta rock

Somebody on a different forum posted that he was moving, and couldn't take most of his rock with him. He had hundreds of lbs. that needed to go. I offered $50 for a sample box. He sent me some samples alright. I could be here for a month knapping all this stuff. He even sent a 7x5x2 pipestone block! I don't even know what half of this stuff is. One thing is for sure, if I still have some cash left in my show fund, I am going to buy more rock. This should help get me to Flint Ridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0609.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	346586

Name:	DSC_0610.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	346585

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Horse Creek?

Name:	DSC_0611.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	346587

Monster 9 in. biface of something.

Name:	DSC_0612.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	346588

Hopewell effigy pipes in the rough.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

That's a heck of a $50 box!!
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

Hey Ethan, Looks like some real nice bifaces in there. That's a whole lot better than starting with whole rocks. Have fun with that material.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I think that colorful piece might be Nevada Wonderstone.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Lol, right on man, that pile’ll keep you busy, at your rate at least for a little while,lol
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I see this post now and looking back on it, I wish I had my experience level that I have now, back then. A lot more of that rock could have been used in a much better manner.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
              I see this post now and looking back on it, I wish I had my experience level that I have now, back then. A lot more of that rock could have been used in a much better manner.
              Wrecking alot of rock is how you get better, I understand the feeling completely though.
              What about the Pipestone though? How'd you fare with it?

Was getting ready to place an order here soon myself, I'm a bit rusty but I know more about what I can't do too...

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually made a pretty cool pipe out of it. I sold it though for gas money to move to PA. I sold off or left behind with my parents, a LOT of what I had knapped. I have my tools, but no rock. Once a paycheck or two comes in, I'll see if I can buy some.

Very cool! I look forward to see some of your work.
              South Carolina

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                This is an old thread I brought back. I was 16 when I posted this, and new to flintknapping. A lot of that rock didn't turn out so good because I was young, inexperienced and new to knapping. Now three or four years later, I saw this post and I was thinking if only I had the experience I have now, that I did back then, I know I could crank out some great points.

Back then, I didn't really know how to set up platforms, or get flakes to go all the way across the biface. I do now. I had sub par tools back then, not now. I didn't know how to work the more difficult stone, but I have a good idea of it now. I wish I could have that rock back, lol!

nice score for you
              Wyoming

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                Was. I bought that lot four years ago.
            Working...
            X