X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Point for Socketed Shaft

It's an unusual not-Texas material???
    Do you know the material?
    Not the best shape but I only had a tiny piece to work.
    It has a yellow-green tint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 864a.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	352275 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 864b.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	352276 ​​​​​​​
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

I forgot to mention, It had a nearly opaque patina but when I knapped the patina away it became super translucent.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That's cool I like the base shape for socket hafting..Nice work ...did it flake like u were working quartz? Almost looks like crystal quartz
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what that Material is either but figure I'd piggyback Your Comment and throw Chalcedony out There.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red, It's not quartz but it does look a lot like quartz.

Beats Me, very nice though! I like to talk socketed though, I think maybe They used River Cane or another hollow Plant. Maybe We talked about that Here in The past?
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh, It knapped a lot like that blue bottle glass you gave me.

I like that material
      South Dakota

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Gary, I wish I had more but I think it's kinda rare.

Agate or chalcedony maybe?
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jay, Both good guesses but nope. This one is more rare,.

Some kind of obsidian,?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Red, It looks a lot like banded obsidian but not that either.

Looks like Onyx.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks flintguy but not Onyx.

Did you acquire Libyan green glass ? I know where you got the idea !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        So is that the glass that was formed from a suspected meteorite impact? Melted/fused the sand?

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct ,They think it was a in atmosphere explosion. Much like a atomic bomb the heat caused the sand to fuse. They have yet to find a impact crater.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Flintguy, Yes That's what it is.

Well I'll be switched....it took an electrician to figure it out... JJ.... that's mad cool Ron
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Editing a comment
        Ya know what Red ? Ron might just be the first person to work that glass in modern times ! Few years ago the discovery was made of the glass on Tut’s death mask. So, the ancient Egyptians must of considered the material gem stone !

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow jj well if he is that's cool and I'm glad he's my friend. Good theory man

Well isn’t that interesting
      South Dakota

Comment

Let me say Ron, I’m proud of you ! I know folks in here think I’m a different cat. It’s true ! At times though, some folks open their minds...My son is much like me, ( Other than caring less about artifacts) but one day I had some out and he correctly told me what each and every one was ! I was astounded to say the least ..Auty my son is a different cat too. When he was little I was called to school on many occasion. Not for complaints that he’d done something wrong. Example : Phisical Ed teacher called me in for his ability to jump rope backwards, like a boxer. She said something is wrong here ! I knew but she did not know and I did not explain to her that Auty is and was a autistic savant Auty’s title is A.J. Burrow,AS, BA MS.MA.Ph.D..In the old days they were called “ Idiots “
        I’m a Idiot Savant too ! Openly ! My ideas are and will be off the wall, out of the box, different. Auty is more severe than me, he counts things. How many know exactly how many tiles are in your bathroom ?And why would it matter ? It does matter to a savant ! I’d like to find Pandora’s box ... Bad thing about that, well just imagine. So, I want to thank you for having a open mind, and going with it...Again, I’m proud of you Sir !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Smile

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey JJ, Owen will be 60 in July. Sadly he was overprotected most of his life. When he first moved to the U.P. I went right out and bought him a new quad. He loves running the trails. Owen never went hunting before coming to live with me. I showed him how to shoot a crossbow. That was interesting: He asked, "Do I shoot the big target or the little target?" That's when I discovered that he's left eye dominant. After some target practice we went deer hunting together. The total of Owen's deer hunting: He fired three bolts and took three bucks. He decided to do no more hunting because the power of the crossbow made him nervous. He still enjoys shooting squirrels with an airgun I got for him. Owen's favorite hobby is making chooks (Yooper name for a yarn hat.)

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Editing a comment
          We know that a common person uses 10% of their brain. And yet the entire body is the support system, other than reproduction. Our society in the past has been closed to people who are ( Different) I often wonder if all the different people were put together as to what their thinking would be to commonage...With every disability a new ability develops, that is the brains answer in function. Einstein was thought to be using 15% of his brain. What are the human limits ? I’ve been currently reading that apes are now utilizing stone tools. I am not surprised by that. Concluding here, Einstein said that WW3 will be fought with atoms, and WW4 will be fought with stones. I hope he made a mistake !
      Working...
      X