This "Paleo End Scraper" was knapped today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This "Paleo End Scraper" was knapped today

My main focus today was sawing some Jade slabs from one of the rocks I purchased. I figured I might as well knap a point while tending the saw. I picked an odd shaped spall of dark Tiger Chert. While reducing this rock I got a spall that looked like it would make a good scraper. So I laid the point aside and knapped a scraper. I added the spurs to give it that PES look. The bottom side has a nice concave shape which is ideal for end scrapers. Then I went back and finished the point.
    Lateral Edge
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 897a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	361711
    Distal End
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 897b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	361707
    Unifaced Side
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 897c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	361708
    Top side
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 897d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	361709
    And here is the point from that spall
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 898a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	361710
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 04-14-2019, 05:24 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Great stuff! They both have a great look and color to them. Can’t wait to see what you do with your jade too
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay, I don't know if you are familiar with the jade celts from the west coast. The ancient people sawed slabs and then ground the edges and bit. That's what I plan to do with one of the slabs. I plan to use a concrete block in water to do the grinding.

Nice work Ron, something to relieve the boredom of waiting for saw to finish.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny, This Nephrite Jade saws quite fast. It can't be flaked but does work easy with sawing, grinding, and drilling.

Man that's a purdy scraper! That point is awesome too! The color in that rock is just downright pretty.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice scraper and awesome point. I found a scraper today which I will post but it doesn't come close to your work.

Comment

Well done Ron. I am very interested in seeing what you do with that jade. I know of one jade celt that was found less than a mile away from where I lived in Victoria. I kept looking for jade items whenever I was out. Sadly jade never showed in my vicinity.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Excellent work Ron
          South Dakota

Comment

Nice pieces Ron..love the end scraper
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Yep, looks just like a paleo scraper !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
              X