Blue Obsidian???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Obsidian???

This was advertised as Blue Obsidian from China.
    I really don't know how to tell if the glass is made by nature or manmade.
    The material did flake better than some glass I have knapped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 951a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	372999
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Gorgeous Christmas tree ornament.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Cool.
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Does it have cortext whenb you get it? They sell aqua marine glass and other colors at a road side shop in Sevierville TN. They had an abundance of this same color. Hunks about the size of a softball.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Matt, This was from a chunk about that size. No cortex on it just broken from a larger piece.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from china as far as I can throw it. I know a fellow on Paleoplanet who has knapped almost every variety of Obsidian known, and I haven't seen anything like that in his work. Like Matt said, probably just aqua glass.

On the other side, that's a beautiful piece! Obsidian or not, that's a great color.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s beautiful!!
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wow, Eye Candy.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I’m pretty sure it’s a specially made glass. A bit like leaded crystal. It’s pretty stuff, they use it for a lot of carvings around China & Hong Kong.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62920.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	378421 Ron here are some pics of true blue obsidian from Lassen creek California and it knapps beautifully Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	378427 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4930.JPG Views:	1 Size:	205.6 KB ID:	378422 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4929.JPG Views:	1 Size:	178.9 KB ID:	378423 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4928.JPG Views:	2 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	378424 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4931.JPG Views:	1 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	378425
                Last edited by beatup1354; 07-11-2019, 11:21 PM.
                Wyoming

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  WOW That is some absolutely beautiful material. The Blade is just over the top awesome. Your flaking is just perfect. Thanks for showing the pictures. Do you have any idea where I could buy a slab like that? I would love to get my hands on one of those. I have 67 different materials on my "Knapped Lithics list" and I have knapped several I can't name. I do believe my point here is glass and I have knapped several different types of glass too.
              Working...
              X