Eastern European Obsidian from Ron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern European Obsidian from Ron

Pulled out a couple pieces of obsidian Ron sent to me kind of a gray colored lace and very transparent . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5608.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	392805 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5611.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	392806 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5600.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	392807
    Wyoming

Nice notches on side notched point, nice points also
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Love seeing your fingers through the material , good show !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey Bret, Great work on both. As Johnny said those notches are something to admire. I like your work best on the second one but I like the saw work best on the first one. I wish the rock dealer would always cut more in line with the flow. That first Lace is really cool.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• tomf
          tomf commented
          Editing a comment
          That's shop talk -

(what's a lace?).
          Last edited by tomf; 09-21-2019, 12:11 AM.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Tom, In ancient times Obsidian was a favorite toolstone wherever it was found. Being natural glass it flakes real easy. Lace is just a name that has been given to obsidian with that pattern of opaque and transparent streaks. I have knapped a lot of lace obsidian from Oregon too.

Beautiful work.

Ridiculous material.

Are there ancient artifacts from Eastern Europe made of this stuff?
        California

Comment

Tomf, this stuff actually hardier-looking than another material either Brett or Ron (“Bront”?) knapped not too long ago. To me, “glass” work an ultimate art form, not only coz Bront’s obsidian work, but also coz saw Venetian glassblower blow my little horse bigger n bigger. Since have no desire personally create by either method (need lungs and fingers), have watched both practices to understand what I’m never gonna do..... and, lemme tell you....Glass...(yes, I know subject matter obsidian, but taking literary liberty here)

But you raised point about such fragile-looking and way-beautiful points’ usage in antiquity. My theory is yes, they existed, created for ceremony, for art’s sake, for Aztec-warrior-boyfriend’s birthday, but everyday use? Nah, no way. I sure don’t wear ball gowns to work. Get kick outta Bront’s highly aesthetical creations coz pretend I commissioned for vividly imagined personal occasion in pre-history......
          Last edited by Cecilia; 09-21-2019, 02:08 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
          X