Montana Agate Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana Agate Point

A special thanks to Bret for giving me the chance to flake this beautiful Montana lithic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 1030a.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	397618 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 1030b.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	397619
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 1030a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	397620

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That’s awesome! What size was the agate before you started knapping it? Any pics of the before?
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ryan, Bret sent me a slabbed preform so I didn't lose any length. This stone was heat-treated to perfection which makes all the difference when flaking agate.

That ones is a beauty Ron i like the bit of blue in the left ear.
    Wyoming

Comment

I like the translucence , nice job Ron!
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

As always, love the lithic. And when it’s knapped so finely, so many more appreciate it! Thank you, again.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Beautiful, yet strange. White, yet translucent orange, it's a unique lithic, and a fine job.

How does the agate knap? I've really been considering trying different flints and agates, besides Obsidian, so knowing how each one knaps would be a good help in choosing.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            It's all in the heat- treatment. This piece of agate knapped great because of a great cook.

some insite on how you coked it would be appteciated an how thick was the preforms. a super job . Love the small arrow points mostly because I have a problem getting a piece thin enough for small thin points.
          SE IA

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            This was a quarter inch slabbed preform so all the knapping was pressure flaking on this point.

Nice Ron. Has that waxy look like small chunks of chalcedony ive found
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
          X