Simple arrowhead fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple arrowhead fake

Don't let the title scare you, I only "faked" it as an example to show. This is super easy and anyone can do it, which is what makes it so dangerous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0420.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	402404

Take this little white Dalton for instance. Freshly knapped, white as snow - hold a lighter to it...

Name:	DSC_0421.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	402405

And now it is a new color, with the flake scars clearly visible.

Name:	DSC_0424.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	402406

Wipe it down with with an alcohol wipe, and now you have a patinaed arrowhead. Not shown in the pictures is the sleek shine it takes on because of the soot.

I'll take a pic of it in sunlight tomorrow.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

The longer you let that just sit and cool down, the more carbon adheres to the surface. Here's another trick you can try. Take any point, lay it on the table, and lay a piece of aluminum foil next to it. Spread some super glue on the foil, and cover it all with a glass that will fit. Leave it over night. As the acetone solvent evaporates from the super glue, the adhesive compound will leave a white resinous film that appears on the surface of the point. And on the inside of the glass. This won't wash off or scrub off with acetone. It gives it the look of caliche deposits. Obsidian is especially susceptible to this kind of synthetic patination, but any chert will work.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try it, but not with my moms good glassware.

• Dannygroves74
      Dannygroves74 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard the super glue trick before. A much more seasoned knapper than I once said to just l ave them in a bird bath for a summer and some funky patina will show up.

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a small shallow glass lid. Here's one I started about 45 min. ago. You can see how the whitish film has already started to adhere to the glass. It was crystal clear. I'll see what it looks like it the morning. Oh, I can't post a photo under comments, I'll post it below under a new message.

Name:	DSC09400.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	402430 DSC09400.JPG Synthetic patination using the evaporation of super glue in an air tight enclosure. Whitish hazy film just starting to show after 45 min.
    Last edited by pkfrey; 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

A decent study with a stereoscope can detect both tricks, but imagine what creative fakers who do this regularly can do with more than 15 minutes?

That said they are both great examples why I just don't buy relics unless I know the collector really well or it's pictured and documented in older books/journals. If you don't have time to really study relics (fakes, authentic relics, materials, and knapping styles) buying expensive relics is a bit like playing the lottery (but without the huge potential payoff for a buck or two.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I'm doing experiments. (for science and identification, not sale...obviously). Lemon juice and dirt, vinegar, and now this super glue.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Though it is valuable knowledge for collectors, I will not participate in discussions about faking patina. Not going there. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga_ga_pee_pap.gif
Views:	430
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	402492
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            It's useful to know what to look for.

I'm with you Tom. It can help possibly identify fakes. I have personally seen friends get taken by a fake. A good friend of mine paid $6000 for a Clovis with "papers" that was completely BS. The material was totally wrong for the area it supposedly came from and you could see copper marks on the point where the flaker slipped. Just purely information about what to look for.

Comment

If I buy I don’t keep them long. Thanks KP for showing the example. Something new for me to watch for
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
            X