Haven't Knapped in a While...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't Knapped in a While...

Haven't knapped all year...mainly due to excessive heat and even worse mosquito pressure. Weather has finally cooled, buzzers are gone, and rocks shall be banged out. Here's a few recent points I made. Getting better with indirect, really helps thin a piece. First one is G-town, second is Flintridge.

Nice blades. I like the black and flesh colored one.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• jstefans
      jstefans commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

Very nice work! Georgetown has a favorite for bifacing, but not pressure flaking, at least for me. I've never tried FR before.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• jstefans
      jstefans commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! G-Town is a bit difficult to pressure flake, as evidenced by the many hinges in my point above! FR is a great material, more delicate but way more workable IMO.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm beginning to get addicted to Paleo knapping, I.e bifacing, and percussion work until it is good and thin. The problem is, I haven't practiced enough, and I've broken all of them trying to get them just a bit thinner.

Super job on them. The black and flesh one looks like a tat.
    SE IA

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      O2 , now that’s funny ! LOL
      Wait ! You might of started something !

• jstefans
      jstefans commented
      Editing a comment
      way too adventurous for me.....I'll stick with the pointy needles and ink....

Nice work
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Flintridge is absolutely one of my favorites to work. The downfall of it is I tend to buy Roy Millers high end/ high dollar green colors and then put it away for the future.

Comment

• jstefans
        jstefans commented
        Editing a comment
        I am guilty of the same thing. Been hoarding a stash since last year, just now getting around to taking a whack at it...it's just so darn nice I hate to break a piece during production...

• beatup1354
        beatup1354 commented
        Editing a comment
        nice stash Danny

Really trying to get my mind around that flaking. How the heck do all the flake scars are outlined so perfect. I just can't figure it out ?
      SE IA

Comment

A lot of it is the material in my opinion oldrocks. Also pressure, spacing, angle, abrasion and what the pressure flaker is made of plays in to it. Whether the scars are made by a pressure flaker, indirect or direct percussion.

Comment

Still confused. No knapping tool I know of or used will produce outlines of each, both percussion and pressure flakes as on this point. Outline is on flakes that are over previous flakes. ???
          SE IA

Comment

Working...
          X