A little taste of New England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little taste of New England

Here is a case I put together of points I made last year of what is typically found in Connecticut and New England. The majority of the material is a brown/red shale chert that I quarried in West Haven, CT. The other types are some Onondaga chert, esopus, rhyolite, quartz, Cheshire quartzite, and blue Vermont quartzite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_75085.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	423833
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-14-2020, 02:03 PM.

Very nice! The brown/red pieces remind me of Chicopee Indurated Shale, a lithic that outcrops in the Connecticut River valley. Boudreau's typology notes "it is recognized by its deep red to reddish brown color with little obvious patina".
    Rhode Island

Comment

• AJGamby
      AJGamby commented
      Editing a comment
      That book is the greatest thing ever! I have worked so many different grades of this stuff and I have noticed that some of the higher grade pieces look identical to that of the Chicopee. I wonder if it is the same stuff, I am trying to track down the natural source of this stone. Most of where I get it is used as landscape stone.

Hey AJ, That's a beautiful display and great work on some tough materials.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• AJGamby
      AJGamby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey AJ, I inserted the photo in your post for you. Members can get a better look that way.

Cool AJ that's a sweet frame..nice work....I actually have two cool points made if that red shale I found down the river.....glad ur posting finally
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• AJGamby
      AJGamby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red, I was having problems before when I was trying to log on, finally figured out what password I used. LoL!

Great stuff. I love that kind of knapping!
    Central Virginia

Comment

Wow, one to be proud of. Thanks for sharing!
      North Central Kentucky

Comment

outstanding display of points AJ
        Wyoming

Comment

Man ..AJ. You nailed the replication of the points we find here. Hadda check em out again ... I like em a lot
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• AJGamby
            AJGamby commented
            Editing a comment
            Red, Im coming back to CT for school this year. I'll have to make you a set of points

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. I'd like that .. we will kick the river...and find some new spots....let me know when schools out

Nice work. The center one in the top row looks like an afton. Not found in your area but I find them in IA,IL,MO.
          SE IA

Comment

• AJGamby
            AJGamby commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks oldrocks. That point there is supposed to be a Jack's reef pentagonal, very similar to an afton.

That a big taste and I’m liking the flavor I’ll take seconds

Comment

Nice work AJ
            South Dakota

Comment

Hey AJ...the point your talking about with old rocks. Is a. Jack's Reef. Corner notch....many have the pentagonal blade. ..if you look on "projectile.points.net"...and search for Jack's Reef corner notch......and then do search for Jack's Reef pentagonal ...you will see the difference.....the pentagonal is usually bout an inch..and has 5 edges...
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Some nice work there.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
                X