Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flint Ridge Knap-in Starter Kit

Hello all,

I made it to the Flint Ridge Knap-in Saturday. I looked for Willjo, but I couldn't find him. Hopefully I'll meet him next year. The knap-in was reallly interesting with a lot to take in. There are some really talented knappers there that reproduce museum quality arrowheads. Oh, there was an ice cream vendor that utilized a hit-and-miss engine to make ice cream, I thought that was really neat. Reproducing arrowheads caught my attention.

The Knap-in had many vendors selling all sorts of fasinating primitive man technologies, so I thought what the hell and bought a flint knapper starter kit. I didnt buy and chert because I figured a newbie such as myself should start with glass. There is a bottle dump behind my house with all sorts of glass to practice on. Learning this primitive skill will help pass the winter months.

Attached Files

good on you
    Wyoming

Comment

Nice kit should get you started right.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I started on glass and utube videos...Get some bandages and tweezers 🙂
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
          I started on glass and utube videos...Get some bandages and tweezers 🙂
          Lol, very true. My hands are worse for wear from years of metal fab work cuts and welding burns.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            In that case you have an advantage..Can’t wait to see first one..

Well, I hope I can make something that resembles an arrowhead. From what I've seen here it is an artform that requires skill, talent, and lots of practice.

Comment

Good Luck with the knapping. I'll be watching for your points.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Be aware you will have a long learning curve. Don't get disappointed. Also watch u-tube in bottle knapping. Good luck and wear eye protection. PLEASE
              SE IA

Comment

If you work with metal, you already know, but it never hurts to say it again....never put a tool to rock without safety glasses on!

That kit you got is really solid, Charlie has great tools. Ive never used the lighter abraders he has (the white one) but I do have one of the gray ones and its a bit more course than I like (for smaller heads at least. )

I have found several handsized pieces of sandstone that work great, especially for glassy materials (obsidian , etc)

Good luck with your journey!

Comment

That's great info, we have a lot of sandstone in my AO. I also bought a bunch of cheap Chinese wet stone locally a few months ago. I'll give them all a try and see what works best. I probably won't start knapping till winter kicks in unless I have the time. Last night I received a leed about a potential artifacts site I'm going to try like hell and hunt this weekend. Thanks for all the helpful advice gentlemen!

Comment

Working...
                  X