Want to learn flintknapping!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to learn flintknapping!!

I've been wandering around the forum and what beautie points ,l m amazed at the skill and passion reflected in each flake scar. How to perceive that passion and not feel inspired... I have been practicing it for a few weeks and I get stuck in a matter of smoothing the ridges and in the attempt I am left without a ridge and with nothing, just a hole, added to very brave flakes that do not run away and more technical aspects and technicalities, ignoring aesthetics, this is not like eating tortillas... In a post someone commented on a free link to the book making and understanding stone tools. Butvi cant find It anymore, Does anyone have the link to download it? I share with you some supports in which im practiced, I would like to have your support and suggestions, you got me into this, remember? I appreciate you brainiacs.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tenoch; 06-28-2022, 10:48 AM.
    In chimalli in macahuitl

Hey Tenoch, That's some cool knapping. I don't remember the post you mentioned. You-Tube videos can be very helpful. The best teacher is time spent breaking rock. Have fun with it and good luck.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron ... I want to follow your path, I admire the knapper that you are ...

Good work..👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Tenoch
      Tenoch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal,you should teach me to knapp like you guys ..cmm

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Videos, videos, videos

I'm not much of a flintknapper Tenoch so I'm of little help. BUT it looks to me that you have a good start. Just keep at it, Rome wasn't napped in a day ( or something like that ) K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Thanks Mattern... Yes its a long path , you dont try to knapp some times Kim...?

​​
      In chimalli in macahuitl

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yes I have made many NA tools.

Like others have mentioned YouTube has some great flint knapping channels. Paleoman Jim and Primitive Pathways have some of the best instructional content. Also the book Flint Knapping, making and understanding stone tools by John C. Whittaker was very valuable to me.

Hope you share more of your flint knapping journey with us soon.
      South Carolina

Comment

I'll give you a few tips as well. When I first started, I wanted to pressure flake way too soon in the process. Learn the hammer stone first and only use a pressure flaker to assist in setting up platforms. My current preference is to start with a medium to large size hammer stone, switch to a pebble size hammer stone and finish up with a pressure flaker. Don't let the middle of the preform you are working on get too thin. Keep the tip and base just a little thinner. If you don't sacrifice a little width, you'll usually end up with a step fracture. Don't get lazy or try to rush setting up platforms. Leave the lazy part for when you are napping.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Tenoch
          Tenoch commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Sr. I apreciate it.

Yeah , check out you tube and just keep practicing .
        Wyoming

Comment

Looks like you got it going your way, YouTube helped me , jack crafty , Paleo Jim both have some good beginner basics style videos
          2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

something else that helped me was my tool set, after watching some videos I figured out my tool kit was most I f my problem, getting some proper indirect precusion ishi sticis and learning how to create a platform for thining allowed my creativity to blossom
            2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

I improvise some tools, you can imagine...lol it's true, the principle is to have the right tools and then create platforms, this frustrates me a bit I can't catch it, thanks for taking the time to answer.... Ánimo LongStride!
              In chimalli in macahuitl

Comment

Working...
              X