Unknown lithic and inclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown lithic and inclusion

This point I recently knapped is from a rock that I picked up near the Pickwick dam. The material looks and feels much like georgetown but in it's raw state is much stronger/tougher knapping. It does not look like Buffalo river or Fort Pane to me. I am looking for suggestions on the lithic type. Also this piece had some inclusions that look different than any I have ever seen. There were three total, two of them are still in the point and the other got flaked off. These inclusions look like Pyrite to me. Everyone that has looked at it in person says it looks metallic. In the picture you can see the cube shape it has. Any ideas?? The two side profile pictures look the same but it is opposite sides and two different inclusions.

What did the original rock look like? A nodule, bedded, or just water worn rock?
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Hey Scott, That's a nice lookin point. I can't help with the lithic except to say it looks like a good one.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

It almost has markings like Dover chert in there but its green like Normanskill chert from New York State. Since chert is a sedimentary rock it could have all kinds of inclusions. The nodular flints up in Kentucky will often have sand in the matrix. I have an adena that I always wondered about. Then I saw a video from Dennis Kern where he discusses the sand in some nodular flints from up there.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146095.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	663509
        Last edited by Hoss; 11-17-2022, 10:33 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

tried removing color with photoshop
          Click image for larger version

Name:	remove color.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	663512
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

[QUOTE=clovisoid;n663435]What did the original rock look like? A nodule, bedded, or just water worn rock?[/QUOTE

I would say nodule, this was the biggest piece I found most were half this size.
            Last edited by dogfish; 11-18-2022, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I'm gonna see if my metal detector will signal on it when I get a chance.

Comment

From the look of that nodule two things come to mind.

There are some flat nodules of Brassfield that are really dark. They usually have a bit of brownish in them. It's not the classic Brassfield, but from the same limestone formation that goes all the way up into KY/IN.

And the other is just a dark variety of good ol' Ft Payne. Lots of outcrops in Hickman County, not sure about your area.

It doesn't look like Knox/Copper Ridge formation to me.
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                X