trade for chert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade for chert?

i recently have been trying my hand at knapping,but im a pretty poor dude i dont have the money to order material,especially without an idea of what im gettin, but i do make all kinds of native and woodsy themed things and am willing to trade, maybe a walking stick or something.if anyone has any knappable sized chert they'd be willing to trade me please let me know and what you might want for it! thanks! from jay
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Jay, I wish I could help you. When I get back, I will send you some material. I dont have any with me.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I have been sending some to another friend am in process of filling up another box for him. But as soon as I get it filled I will start collecting some for you. I pick it up while out hunting. So any rocks that I believe are flint I bring home along with some chips that are big enough to work. it might be a while but would be glad to send you some of these Ky rocks.
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

thanks guys! anything would be much appretiated! no rush! i got another walking stick already in the works,if that seems like a fair trade?

Comment

or anything else that might seem suitable.

Comment

Gonna look around tomorrow Jay. I was in Ct for a couple weeks. Just got back late last evening
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Jay....I'm in Texas and have a 5 gal bucket of chert I collected from a creekbed.  Not sure if it would ideal for making arrowheads or not..but...If you want it...it's yours....You'll just have to figure out how to get it.  I'm sure shipping would be financially prohibitive...but, like I said..if ya want it..it's yours
              Cathy

Comment

If ya got any laying around, or want to walk down the road and pick them up

Comment

Jay there might be small chert pebbles on the beaches.  Also, consider trying to knap with wooden billets on quartzite which can be found in parkinglots and landscape rock piles around pools and such.  Best of luck on your search for materials.  ES
                  New Jersey

Comment

Jay you could also try your hand at quartz. Native Americans made some fine points out of it. Felsite and Rhyolite has to outcrop someplace in your area and I know Charlie had mentioned there is a Jasper source in RI. Rhyolite is some tough stuff though. I found some Hi Grade Rhyolite in a field in Woodbury CT gave it to a friend who was good at knapping. He was amazed that a moose antler billet was no match for it. It is some tough hard material.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

thanks guys, theres lots of quartzite around and of course quartz, no chert that ive ever noticed at the beaches though! charlie said they no longer allow people to gather the jasper if im not mistaken. i have attempted to work some felsite and ryolite chips ive found,i made a nice red felsite scraper outta one,i plan on using it this season.

Comment

Jay if I  come across something its yours. Every I got right now is tools cause I tried to make points too but I failed. I hope I can send you something cause there is great material around here. At worst ill send you tools. Thanks

Comment

If you know any commercial roofers, we come across it all the time. Ballasted EPDM roofs are ballasted with river rock most of the time, and 80% of the ballast around the Dallas and Tennessee areas are chert, flint, and jasper. Many times we replace the roof with another roof system, and there literally tons and tons of it that we can't even give away. Once in a while a landscape company will haul some off for us. You might try some of those also and see if they have any washed river rock, about 2-4 inch dia. Most of it is a smooth light brown color outside. Hope this helps.

Comment

im a roofer myself , we do some commercial and a decent bit of flat rubber roofs as well, we do tar and gravel removel alot but all the stone is just that,small gravel.thanks though! HOSS actually has a great tar and gravel story.im sure someone knows where it is.

Comment

I have seen it in Landscaping in East TN but what I saw was too small for working. Jay have you practiced any?

Comment

Working...
                              X